Sunday, November 9, 2014

I think we've got this!

Image: http://blog.iefa.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/shutterstock_39775627-300x300.jpg

Just received our last electric bill yesterday. I budget $150/month for a family of 6, moving the budget up from $125, as 2 additional people joined the family when we moved here. First month's bill was ridiculous! Major efforts to bring that into check worked, my second bill was $124.08, and this new bill is $138.00.  We used 748 kwts this past month. Fine.

Image: http://images.costco-static.com/image/media/350-555922-847__1.jpg

Yesterday was my bimonthly trash/recycling drop off week. I remain pleased that this is another area that we tackled and won. Previous home budget had us at $10/month for trash disposal (we pay by the LB) and the annual charge for a transfer station sticker for the car, spread out to a monthly charge of $2.08.  Yesterday's charges were for 2 very light weight, tall kitchen garbage bags of refuse: $2.40, leaving me $5.52 for the next trash haul off in another 2 weeks. If we continue as we have been, I anticipate that once again, we will be under budget. 2 bags of actual trash for a family of 6 (or 1/week) is an awesome rate, IMO. I also recycled 6 same sized bags worth of items, as well as some flattened cardboard. Awesome in my book. : )

Image: http://petroleumkings.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/heating-oil.jpg

Next up: oil delivery this week (oil company owner will call me to confirm delivery date). I reached out to a local company that I used for years, prior to my last rental, where I was required to use a particular oil company, which was also one of the most expensive around. :  (        They have awesome service, but if you are on a budget, and living in a drafty,older home-YIKES!   So, I will be back in business with Paul, who recognized me and is familiar with this new rental, as he delivered to the family that lived here. I found that this company had always had the best prices, and were awesome about arriving as scheduled (had issues in the past with other delivery only companies who would not show, not contact the customer, etc). Current price is $3/gallon-well over $1 less than what I was paying last winter. We've been here 3 months, and using some heat (mostly early AM and evening) not to mention that oil is the source for heating water. We're down to 1/2 a tank, so that is normal. I will continue to track my usage over time and compare it to where we were at the last place. I anticipate a huge savings in this budget line item. : )

No comments: