Sunday, October 26, 2014

So what's been cooking?


 Got home much later than anticipated on Tuesday, so I had to turn to an "emergency meal": ziti with meatballs in jarred sauce. My photos of the simmering meatballs (Aldi's fzn) and jarred sauce didn't come out well.


 green beans


tossed salad with choice of dressing



I tried my hand for the first time at a curry (gotta disguise the ongoing chicken meals), and made a chicken-chic pea curry over brown rice. Very good. DD who is the Indian food connaisseur deemed this not spicy enough.

Thursday was another busy day, but dinner was planned and executed: hamburger and macaroni, option for grated Parmesan on top, tossed salad on the side, as well as fzn broccoli (which was a disappointment. I normally grab florettes and ended up with chopped which was a bag full of woody stems with a sprinkle of florettes.)

Friday night was sloppy joes, tater tots for 2. Keeping it simple as I have been exhausted at the end of every week, due to ever increasing work demands.

 Saturday is soup day, and I tried a new recipe: I'm calling this ginerged squash soup. My inspiration was some leftover, roasted acron squash.
 Additionally, I freshly roasted a butternut squash
 along with some long in the tooth "baby carrots" and onions

I used some of the chicken fat on top of the homemade stock as my fat, in lieu of butter. Once the vgetables were soft, the stock and a bit of water was added to the stock pot, and finally the flesh from both types of squash, salt, pepper, ginger, cinnamon.
An immersion blender did the work for me, quickly turning this into a velvety soup. I also blended in some 1/2 & 1/2 and allowed 2 pats of butter to melt on top. Once melted, the soup was hot enough to serve. I served a selection of cracker with this. 

1 comment:

Marcia in rural WNY said...

The soup really looks good and mixing the carrots and squash is a good idea. I have a recipe for a low fat carrot soup which is similar, although it has quite a few more onions. Next time I may throw a little squash in too. It would be improved by some butter and cream, but it's MEANT to be low fat.
Our soup for the week was Italian Wedding soup and it lasted for three meals--the cat got the one last meatball when we couldn't eat anymore. I make it with ground pork and add Penzey's Italian Sausage Seasoning, to make the tiny meatballs from. I do that for meat in lasagna, sometimes using part ground beef with the ground pork. The seasoning is a good one.