Saturday, October 11, 2014

Household supplies, on a budget

 My beloved, wall mounted, crank handled can opener has been on the fritz for some time, and finally seems broken. I have never owned an electric can opener, much prefering a hand held model. Electric ones just seemed to always break, when I was growing up. After being forced to use a church key bottle opener to open a can the other day, electric can opener went on my list. I recently on line ordered 2 more pairs of pants that are duplicates to a pair I got earlier this Fall, a nice pull on style that are very easy for me to get into. Unfortunately, Kohl's on line ordering site was having some issues and I ended up receiving multiple deliveries! I returned 14 pairs of pants today, and 6 pillow protectors, having my credit card reimbursed.  Since I was at Kohl's, I bought this Black and Decker electric can opener. Originally $29.99, it was on sale for $24.99. I had a 20% off coupon, so $23.99. I also had $20 is Kohl's cash, so $3.99 plus tax. I spent $4.24 out the door.
I tried Salvation Army for bedding, came up empty. I then went over to Savers where I bought this early birthday gift to me: a new in package, oil/no oil with stirring rod, popcorn maker. I owned an air popper years ago, didn't care for the cardboard texture. I moved to using a covered pot. The glass top range won't agree to that practice, so I had been thinking of getting a popcorn maker. I don't care for multiple, single use items cluttering the house but figure that since I am trying to reduce what little snack foods I buy, this is a good step to help me in that goal.I spent $12.99 plus tax.

Image: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/718X%2BMvbMqL._SX425_.jpg


For some reason, the twin's twin sized flat sheets seem to be dying so it's time to get some replacements. Stores no longer seem to sell just flats anymore so I knew to try the thrifts, as I've had great luck in the past there. I ended up with a The Company Store brand, 100% cotton cafe au lait flat sheet (per their website, this retails for $24!)  and a Spring Maid 60% cotton white flat and bottom sheet (sold as a set). Very happy with these finds. I paid $7.99 for the set, $6.99 for the flat.

14 comments:

Bargain Mom said...

I found some twin flat sheets at Walmart. You can buy them separately from the fitted and pillow cases. I used them for a table cloth for our picnic table (the vinyl ones don't hold up well or fit well for the price)

DW said...

True .. WalMart seems to be the only place left that sells single sheets. I bought a king-sized to make my patio door curtain. But I think your thrift-store prices are better ;)

thyme2save said...

Happy birthday early, Carol. Very good linen finds for twins.
As for can opener, that is a bargain. Except for tomato products, we seldom use canned foods, but DH opens all cans in the kitchen, or I would use an electric can opener as I did years ago.

CTMOM said...

Bargain/DW, I went on line and saw that yes, Wm (A store I try to avoid) does continue to sell separate sheets. Of concern is also the country of origin. my sheets are still made in the USA, even if bought second hand, I am supporting American workers. Love that the proceeds of my purchase go to Big brothers/sisters in CT. It's all good as DS # 1 would say.

CTMOM said...

Thyme
Good tip about using the basement/porch/garage to cook during hot days. I do make a lot of soup. Besides the leftover lentil soup over the next few days, I plan on making a fresh pot of soup for supper on Tuesday.
Killed me to buy an electric can opener. I've never been a fan, but can no longer use the traditional, Swing way hand held models, and am disappointed that my circa 1940's hand crank model appears to be broken. My DX would have looked at it, to see if it could be fixed. I don't want to ask him. So, we now own a cheap to purchase (I had a $30 budget) can opener. As luck would have it, I actually thought about purchasing the new in box White westinghouse (brand?) one that I saw at Savers yesterday for $7.99, to keep aside as a back up. I recall Mom going thru can openers in what I felt was a short period of time. Fast forward and things aren't made as they were so my expectation is that this can opener will also fail me, in an even shorter period of time (although warrentied 2 years) It's just yet another adaptation that I've had to make, due to my hand issues and arthritis. We use a considerable amount of canned goods, come Winter, once the gardens/farms stop producing. Canned fruit, veg mostly with the odd can of coffee tossed in. I am happy to have acquired this can opener for far less than I was willing to spend. : )

CTMOM said...

Thyme-thanks for the early birthday wishes. : )

Ms. Sandie Apuzzo said...

DH just reminded me that we sometimes see single sheets in the clearance piles at Bed Bath and Beyond. Might be a place to look if you pass by one in your travels.

CTMOM said...

Sandie,
A good tip, thanks! We actually live close to a Mall now, so not an issue to pop in some time.

Belinda said...

Great deal on your new electric can opener.

Nice popcorn maker. We just had popcorn last night, made on the electric stove. We have the coils, so no problem using that. But, you are so right to be careful with a glass top stove. We had one shatter years ago after a day of canning. Better to be safe than sorry.

Great deals on the sheets at the thrift stores.

Belinda said...

I'm with you on the buying American made products. I'll pay more if I can get it made right here instead of some place like China.

CTMOM said...

Belinda
I had been thinking of buying a popcorn maker, as it's a cheap snack. I really want to get away/reduce what few snacks I have been buying. While I had a coil electric stove at the former rental, I now have a brand new, glass top, GE range. I don't want to risk damaging it-that turns into very expensive popcorn! I checked the accompanying brochure to the stove prior to canning, and followed the instructions, and was able to put up all of my tomatoes for the year, back over Labor Day weekend, when I traditionally do that task.

CTMOM said...

Belinda
Buying American has been drilled into my head since a child. Many family members have worked factories, so lower orders=layoffs. THere is a definite cause-effect cycle. That said, there is also a quality issue. I MUCH prefer older sheets, they wear like iron! I want my hard earned dollars to also stay in this country, if not locally in CT to boost the local economy. Regardless of what the media is saying, times remain difficult for many.

thyme2save said...

From articles I've read, there can be much misunderstanding about Made in America, which is frustrating. Items may be made in ano,ther country, assembled or packaged in USA and stamped with a Made in America label. Product parts and food ingredients may originate in countries other than the one stamping a label.

Seeds for a home grown garden, for example, may originate who-knows-where but be package in USA.

IMO, I think that Made in America is questionable, but I wish that it were not.

Marcia in rural WNY said...

JC Penney's also sells single sheets, but unfortunately in the more expensive lines, at least in our area. My DGD doesn't like top sheets, but my DD often buys the whole set and finds another use for the top sheet--it's cheaper than the higher priced single sheets. DGD is the only one with a full size bed at this time. The rest of us have queens, plus I have one single bed. My sheets are getting lovely and soft, meaning they are showing some wear. I'm sure 100 % cotton will cost me more than the last ones did a few years back. Land's End has some individual sheets too, if you can find what you want on clearance or their "On the Counter" markdowns. I don't know what I will buy next time, as Penney's discontinued the ones I have been using for quite some time--that's why I bought them on sale last time. I have had zero luck with thrifts here for sheets, although I keep looking.