Thursday, October 16, 2014

Chinese food on a budget

Here's our special dinner tonight: Chinese food, but on a budget. I bought both pork and chicken egg rolls at Aldi's, and chicken pot stickers at Dollar Tree. I made a veggie-chicken stir fry using fzn (DT) onions/peppers, DT fzn "stir fry veggie mix," leftver chicken, celery, organic Pok Choy, organic mustard greens. I used multiple take out packet sof soy sauce to season this, along with my own blend of Canola and sesame seed oils. I opened multiple packs of take out Duck sauce and served that with the egg rolls and pot stickers. Yum!

5 comments:

Shara said...

Yum! I love stir fries.

thyme2save said...

Liking Chinese foods as you do, smart to keep needed ingredients on hand for the dinner yoou prepared. May I ask how much you saved cooking at home instead of ordering or eating at a Chinese restaurant? Chinese shops are not cheap.

CTMOM said...

Thyme, I ended up with 5 generous servings, each with pot stickers, egg rolls and chicken-vegetable stir fry. I easily saved $40 by making this myself

thyme2save said...

Chinese take-out and restaurants would cost less than where you live, then, and I know that can't be true. To prepare Chinese food at home here would save more than $40. Pat yourself harder on the back. lol.

CTMOM said...

Thyme, depends upon what was ordered. I was conservative. Our local, go to, Chinese take out would have easiy cost me a heck of a lot more than what I estimate I paid for the ingredients to serve Chinese from home. Dollar tree pot stickers, Aldi's egg rolls-those really saved significant $ over ordering. $2.49 I think for the box of 4 egg rolls that the restaurant charges $1.50 a piece! I spent $3 for the potstickers that were about twice the amount that come in a restaurant offering that costs $4.99. Stir fry was a veggie drawer clean out with some leftover chicken tossed in. Super cheap. : )