Saturday, October 18, 2014

A busy, Fall day

Here is the view from the deck off of the sun room. We are definately past the prime, as far as Fall foliage colors are concerned, the brilliant reds and oranges have now moved to harvest golds and russet hues as leaves are falling more and more each day. There are few trees around the home, which is highly unusual for this town, but we have them flanking the property on both sides, and the rear of the property is wooded.
 The sky was covered much of the day; little sunshine was seen. From the movement of the clouds, I can tell that they are bringing a cold front, which is to embrace CT tomorrow night, with reports of a killing frost. It's that time of year, we've been spoiled, temperature wise, not that my utility bill is complaining.
 Yesterday afternoon brought my monthly cleaning service for a good, deep clean, changing beds as well. I was left with a lot of laundry-not unusual for a larger family to have, even with me keeping on top of it daily. As soon as there is enough for the HE front loader, it is run through. I chanced the forecast that advised that we may* have a passing shower, and hung 3 loads out today
 as well as placed one on the clothes horses, set up in front of the South facing windows of the Sun room. I am certain that these will be dry by noon tomorrow. I still have one more load going now, which will also be hung up, save the few towels in amongst the sheets.
 The Living room couch loaded with folded, stacked laundry-smells so fresh from being outside
 as well as more on a side chair, holding DS# 1's and GF's laundry. Clothes to be placed on hangers are gently laid across the back. Owners can do their own hanging.
We managed to eat through some lingering leftovers for lunch, more will be used up hopefully tomorrow as well. Tonight's supper: we are trying something new. Instead of the usual, Saturday night is soup night (I have 2 different types of leftover soup in the fridge that I will push for Sunday's lunch choices), we are trying this:


http://www.frugalqueen.co.uk/2014/10/better-than-beans.html


Only modifications is that I tripled the recipe so as to serve 6, added about 3 Tbsp apple juice to the fry pan so as to deglaze it, adding this liquid to the Crock Pot as well, and I am using the convection toaster oven vs the microwave to bake the potatoes as I much prefer conventional baked vs micro baked potatoes. If I was pressed for time, I would absolutley use the microwave instead. : )



My oven roasted/baked potatoes

 2 hours cooking on high, here's what we ended up with

My dinner plate

A large, tossed salad with choice of dressing

Review: very good, hearty, filling. I'd make it again, just not necessarily every week.


One kidlet had some lessons this morning in the city, so after dropping him off, I hit Aldi's and DT since I was close by. While I knew that I would be picking up some "extras," including ingredients for this recipe, the final tally on the receipt was more than I was hoping to spend. I do need to tally my slips and see where I stand, grocery budget wise, as we move into November. Tonight, I am using Ald's fzn beef-pork meatballs, as well as their canned pork beans in Froogs recipe. Smells good, I'll have to report back with  a review.

3 comments:

Belinda said...

The dish from Frugal Queen looks good. I'll have to check it out. :)

mikemax said...

I am sure everybody does this...but when I am in a hurry, I will briefly nuke baking potatoes and then put them in the oven to finish. They don't take long to bake once they are hot inside. I don't like microwaved potatoes, either.

mikemax said...

Your clean laundry over the chair reminds me of my house EXCEPT I put it over their usual dining chair. They can't eat until they put their clothes away! (I don't put it on hangers for them, either).