Saturday, September 27, 2014

So what's been cooking?

One major thrifty move we have, is to eat home cooked meals. Tonight's Saturday supper is neither a sandwich nor soup, instead, I am taking a clue from Frugal Queen again, and making a chicken pot pie, using leek, onion, carrot, celery, red bliss potatoe, meat from roasted chicken drums, cream of chicken soup, milk, black pepper, tarragon. Here's the filled pie

 Now assembled and ready to bake off
Done!

Only one piece ended up refrigerated!

 Ripe bananas? no problem, make a banana sheet cake from scratch!
 Top with neufchatel frosting and some festive, Fall jimmies
 No bread baking required, I pulled the last of the loaves of bread I got at 50% off plus coupon
I did also manage to bake off a pan of brownies as I always double up when baking, to conserve energy

6 comments:

Marcia in rural WNY said...

I read the Frugal Queen too, and she certainly seems to come up with a great variety of dinners at low cost. I make chicken pot pie fairly often in winter, as it's one we really enjoy. And it's literally dinner out of next to nothing!
Yesterday and today I spent with Concord grapes that I was given. Tonight I have a batch of grape jelly and 7 quarts of grape juice. I had jelly left from last year and one batch will last the winter. Grapes are kind of labor intensive, but I like them so much it's worth it. And they were free--so my only cost was about 3.5 lbs of sugar and the electric to run the stove.

CTMOM said...

Marcia-Concord grapes =concord grape PIE! delicious! Enjoy your jelly all Winter!

Mary Lou said...

We love chicken pot pie. I make it with leftover chicken from roasted chicken in the winter. It is so much tastier than buying the ready made ones that are loaded with sodium.

Belinda said...

The grapes sound good, Marcia. Nice that you were able to get them for free.

Carol, when I saw your photo of the pie it reminded me instantly of Frugal Queen's pie. It looks good. Good idea of hers to use the soup to give it a meat flavor. I used to love chicken pot pie when I was growing up.

Baroness Prudent Spending said...

Carol the amount of cooking/baking you do for 4-6 people is quite frankly always amazing considering you work a full-time job and take care of your home too. Brava!
~ Pru

CTMOM said...

Pru
thanks, my French roots are showing. Food and family have always been central in life to me. I strive hard to serve healthy, varied meals that please-all while on a tight budget. : )