Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Mes racines me suivent . . my roots are following me post!

Image: http://catalyst.ca/wp-content/uploads/french-canadian-seo1-545x300.jpg
On the way home from work Monday, I stopped for my weekly CSA pickup: a small watermelon, cherry tomatoes, 1/2 lb of "braising greens"-mixed greens actually, tosoi (bag with small leaves of this green), a large bunch/plant of tosoi, radishes, scallions, oregano, pea shoots. A good selection.

Yesterday's dinner:
Monday's fish supper was dill seasoned, wild caught salmon, oven baked; served with oven roasted garlic-rosemay seasoned fingerling potatoes; fzn peas. I grew up eating a ton of salmon, like many kids of French Canadian decent.

I was exhausted last night, so I turned in early. Up this morning, I got one load washed and on the clothes horses to dry, while a load of towels washed, before I left for work.  I also managed to make tonight's supper, this morning:

using the small scraps of chicken from Sunday's roast chicken, along with some marinated and broiled BSCB that needed to go.  A green salad, some tortilla chips and option to add some shredded cheese completed the menu.

Another work luncheon today, I offered tortilla chips and a jar of homemade salsa; I simply was not up to preparing anything last night.

On the way home from work today, I stopped at the local ACE hardware for these:

 After researching on line, as well as watching a few You tube videos, I knew what parts I needed and that I wanted them to be metal, not plastic, for durability. I told the clerk that he had to beat Sears "kit" that retails for $87, not including tax and shipping.  Not sure how many line separators I want, I got three, knowing that I can return these if desired. Love one stop shopping, and supporting my small, local businessman.
I also mentioned that I prefer to buy American products, but was delighted to see that the heavy duty pulleys hail from St Hyacinthe, Quebec-a town where my maternal grandmother's family resided before moving down here.

PT today after this quick stop, then on the return trip home from there, I stopped at Price Rite:



 I intended to only buy a gallon of milk, but spotted this sale on 5 lb bags of carrots: $2.19!


Another Quebecois item! While I do aim to buy American, and avoid imports as much as possible (often due to safety concerns, quality concerns), in these cases, I purchaed a superior clothesline system, and some awesome carrots from an area that I deem to be "safe."   All in all, a good day!

No comments: