Friday, August 22, 2014

New medical issues to address

Image: http://www.grandviewiowa.com/vertical/Sites/%7B9AE00D6D-C1C5-40DD-9FAA-ED4722884C1B%7D/uploads/911-Emergency.png

Don't think I mentioned it, but I misstepped off the cellar stairs last weekend and fell onto the thin rug over concrete. Ever since, my right ankle has been bothering me, developed into a consistant limp. Sigh. . . so I called the orthopedist office, and had an appointment to confirm what I already knew-I have a small tear in my archilles tendon that runs from the ball of the foot up the back of the ankle. RICE: rest, ice, compression, elevation as well as high doses of generic Advil, a sample pack of Voltaren gel (a topical Advil as described to me)-if I like it, I'm to call the office and they will call a RX in. Would have to do so before Sept 1, my start date for our new year under our high deductible insurance plan. I will have to do a 6 week course of PT, however, which will quickly eat our new deductible, coupled with other, existing, medical expenses.

More urgent, however, was what happened later that evening as I was preparing supper; special needs kidlet had his first seizure, fell to the floor, cutting his head open in the process. 911 call made, a trip to the ER, numerous tests and now we will be following up with both a pediatric cardiologist (abnormal EKG) so now we need an echocardiogram, as well as a pediatric neurologist. Naturally, getting late afternoon appointments are next to impossible. I've already signed up to take a 1/2 personal day on 9/2 for the neurologist and await a call back from the cardiologist to get that appointment squared away. 5 stapes in his head, restrictions on activities, can't be left alone, etc. We got home at midnight, exhausted. He asked to sleep with Mom, and naturally the cats joined us. He doesn't remember what happened, just coming out of it, covered in blood. : (

DD baked off the chicken that I had ready to go, and later refrigerated it.


 We had yesterday's plan tonight. the kids at home made themselves something to eat out of what we had on hand. Fine.

Bulk of my time today was spent making phone calls, updating physicians/therapist/school on what happened and trying to determine what we need to do next.

10 comments:

slugmama said...

Scary stuff. I hope all goes well with your kidlet.

Julie Vidani said...

I'm so sorry about your son, seizures are so frightening. Your car must know the way to PT on its own!

Marcia in rural WNY said...

I suppose it's no more than normal for a 5 person household, but it sure seems like more than your share of medical issues! I hope you recover quickly, and that you get your son's issues under control as well. Seizures are scary especially when they appear out of no where. My DD dated two different guys who had grand mal seizures, so something we are familiar with. Have a couple in the family too, although not real serious problems for us. Lots of medical follow up ahead, I'm sure. Good luck on getting everything settled.

Colette sansom said...

I have read your blog since 2012 and been with you through your journey.. This is the first time I have ever comment. As a single parent as well my heart breaks for you and your family. I also know that you as a strong women will pull through and bring the rest of your family with you. Don't forget to take a lilttle time for you .

young77 said...

I can only echo what Marcia and Colette already said. You and your family are in my prayers. Wish I could give you a hug in person but can only send an e-hug! Shirley

mikemax said...

I'm sorry to hear about your son (and your ankle as well). ((( Carol & family ))).

On a lighter note, your new home is coming together nicely.

DW said...

Oh, gosh ... sending out good thoughts that you have a speedy recovery and that things go well with your kidlet.

Sandie Apuzzo said...

So sorry you are dealing with more health issues. Always scary to see our children suffer.

Catherine said...

Sending good thoughts to you as well, Carol! <3

Nancy said...

Carol: My prayers for your son. Seizures are a scary issue to deal with. Hopefully the neurologist and the cardiologist will be able to ease your mind and have good solutions to the problems.
I had the same ankle injury last spring..it took until mid August before I was able to walk around without swelling and mild pain. Ugh.
Sending good thoughts your way.