Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Home furnishings on a budget

Part of relocating to a new home translates into needing to fill some gaps, especially in the home furnishings department. Most of what we already owned, we kept, donating some directly from the former home, rather than move it here. More needs to be culled, which is a goal I have made for myself, to meet by the end of Sept.

Meanwhile, the new home is about 95% set up, and today found me actively working on completing curtain needs. We are fortunate:

Living room: neutral cream jacard print drapes were kept behind by the LL, perfectly match my taste and colors
Dining room: floral valance from LL were kept, again, working well with our decor
Kitchen: large, Wavery blue and yellow print valence I made for the former home was reinstalled in a large picture window, perfect
Half bath: the only room with a blind that pushes up/down as desired, it also comes with a neutral cream colored valence from the LL
Den: cream colored cafe curtains in the front window with traditional drape curtains on the picture window, topped with a valence are also left behind by the LL
Sunroom-no curtains desired
 Once again, I am able to reuse my Laura Ashley floral valances (couldn't in the last rental)

they fit over my old, lace panels which I had at the former home. I will also install some room darkening/insulating white panels on rings for opening/closing easily, placing them on tension rods.



 The twin's valence is again put into service. I will also install some white, room darkening/insulating panels on the rod underneath.
DD would like some navy blue curtains, but for now, she is using my white curtains, circa 1978. She, too will get the aforementioned panels.

The main, hall bathroom upstairs again comes with a neutral valence from the LL; I added the Country Curtains cafe curtain that I made for the former rental's 1/2 bath. Perfect fit on a tension rod. Done. Here's a close up, the fabrics match beautifully!

No comments: