Sunday, August 31, 2014

Been busy

Besides work this week, I've tended to the following:

Image: http://kartekautomotive.com/images/tire_03.jpg

Tires rotated, approx $20.

Image: http://content.angieslist.com/2013/10/7/9750b68a-3c64-4f96-9783-f7ab3ba7e0c7.JPG

Had my car washed, paying with one of my coupon vouchers that I buy at a discount around the holidays. No additional cash out of pocket this lean time of year, as I await my next paycheck come September 15th. I should be set for a bit, meanwhile I am setting aside funds to purchase snow tires come November. Farmer's Almanac is calling for another bad one.

This past Monday's CSA pickup: lettuce, green beans, French radishes, a bouquet of flowers, a watermelon, 2 green peppers, dill, tomatoes. In addition, at an extra cost, I bought 50 lbs of "seconds" tomatoes for canning.

 This kept me busy all of Saturday: 4 cases pint jars of tomatoes
I then cooked down the peels and chopped off bits, ran that through a food mill, boiled that down 1/3 of the way, added some dried, Italian herbs and created 8 pints of tomato sauce for the upcoming year as well. Nice tip to use what many would have just automatically tossed, or in our case, composted. I made sure to get every bit of food that I paid for!

2 comments:

Belinda said...

Good planning on your part to cook down the peels and make tomato sauce out of them. A good way to stretch those tomatoes out.

Shara said...

I agree with Belinda. That was a smart move!