Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Summer 2014 CSA # 4

Another awesome share week: bunch of 3 medium sized kohlrabi, huge bunch chive, 1/2 pint pick your own raspberries (my favorite fruit), a large bunch Chinese cabbage, a huge head lettuce, a pint sugar snap peas, a bunch of large (wide) asparagus (it's best to get asparagus the size of your thumb-not the spindly stuff sold at the grocery store. Dense nutrition; 2 Kirby pickling cukes.

Raspberries joinded some organic rhubarb I had, some organic strawberries, blueberries and were turned into a mixed fruit cobbler for dessert last night, served with some sweetened cream. Heaven!

5 comments:

Bargain Mom said...

Looks great! What do you do with kohlrabi?

CTMOM said...

Grate it and use in salad, stir fry as well as make a cole slaw out if it. Yum!

CTMOM said...

I forgot to mention: I use the leaves in stirfry and quiche, or freeze to use in Winter soups

mother noah said...

Raspberries are my favourite summer fruit as well . I struck lucky on to large trays of tesco finest raspberries on Sunday in the reduced to clear , £1.00 for both . They were delicious .

Marcia in rural WNY said...

Used to grow our own raspberries for years but couldn't keep up with weeding after a number of years. Now buying them at $3.99 for 6 ounces--on rare occasions. I promised myself I would not do without them when my husband pressed me to get rid of them in the garden, so I just grit my teeth and pay. With our own bushes, it was raspberries on our cereal every day in July, every year, with an occasional quart to freeze as well. But they were a real nuisance to keep up with, I do admit.