Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Egads!

Image: https://responsys.hs.llnwd.net/i2/responsysimages/kohlstri2/DynamicContent/OrderDetail_kCashEarned/kCash.jpg

The twin's birthday shopping spree (their gift) allotted me $40 in Kohl's cash. One kidlet being super skinny translated into the need to return 2 pairs of birthday shorts. The Kohl's cash voucher expires today. Wanting to stay on top of this, I made a trip to kohl's, returned the $$ (yet on sale) shorts, and shopped for a replacement gift: a tri fold wallet that was needed, amd requested. The had a buy 1 accessory item, get 1 50% off, so I picked up a leather belt for DS #1 for Xmas. I have officially started shopping for Christmas 2014,

Another goal was to try to transfer the Kohl's cash (reduced to $30 with my return today)into a low/no cost gift for DS's GF for Christmas. Should they not still be together, it's generic enough for anyone. A blogger on a message board suggets using Kohl's cash for towels. Great. They also had a sale today, again buy 1 get 1 50% off. $18 for a bath towel??? Ok, let's try sheets, I noted that they are needed as well-$99 a Queen set. Thud! I thought that Kohl's was a mid priced store. Sigh.

I ended up with 2, 2 count sets of thick (Food network bramd if you are familiar with them)terry kitchen towels in creamy white with a beige trim. I also grabbed a 4 ct pkg of white bar mop dish cloths and a second set in colors. Again buy 1 get 1 50% off. After applying the $30 Kohl's cash, I am OOP $15. Fine. I think it's a nice gift, and expect that it would be well received. The kitchen towels currently being used are on their last legs. : )

I'm left feeling frustrated at the costs at this "modest" store. For many years now, I've been mending what linens I have, culling the largesse down, making do. When replacements are needed, I turn to second hand shops. $4 bath towels, $1 kitchen towels are much more in my budget, and should they get ruined? I won't be upset over a $4 towel. An $18 one-yes, I'd be ticked!

Anyone else thinking Christmas already?

7 comments:

DW said...

I went to Kohls over the weekend after not shopping there for a while. Was shocked at the prices .. used to be my go-to store for undergarments ... not paying $40 for a bra! Did buy sneakers ... at least sale price was in line with prices at other stores ...

Marcia in rural WNY said...

I also started buying for next Christmas, but not much. When we went to Florida in late January, I saw some hand knitted ornaments that were marked down, so I picked up three of them. Don't know who will receive them yet, but they're very nice. Wouldn't mind keeping one for myself.
Wish I had more, but so far, no. I did shop for a couple pair of needed capris about a month ago. I wear a 14 P, and can't wait until the last sale if I really need them. I managed to get two pair for just over $50. Which did not impress me. (I was at Bon Ton.) Went back last week, and checked at another mall, and if they were available, they are still the same price--and only the two styles I bought are available. One khaki, one denim. Would have preferred both denim, but not possible. Denim can be worn more than one day without washing. I tried.

saraband said...

I buy Christmas & birthday gifts throughout the year as inspiration/opportunity arises. Certainly helps to spread the cost.

Isabella W said...

Yes, prices are going up at Kohl's, and I think a lot of their things look kinda' cheap. I buy my bath towels at Costco. I buy the hotel white 6-pack, and they're great. I think they are about $25 for six and they wear well. I wash in hot water and line dry--100% cotton.

Kelly Campbell said...

I am always shopping for Christmas throughout the year. And yes Kohl's "regular" prices are crazy. I tend to wait for their sales and a lovely 30% off coupon. :)

Marcia in rural WNY said...

I am a Sam's Club member, and I like their bath towels very much. I believe they have gone up to just under $7 each now, not as cheap as they used to be, but great quality to my mind. (Not too thick to dry quickly, and absorbant.) If you need the hand towels and washcloths, they are less but not impressively cheap. I tend to use just bath towels more often and love these. I don't need them now, as I have two complete sets still in the wrapper from the grocery store's premium offering last winter. Points for purchases, and free towels--not a bad deal at all. I choose white (3 choices) and will use them myself or gift them to someone, whichever is needed first.

Nancy said...

I think Kohl's is pretty expensive and I hardly ever shop there. That said, I do go there when they have a good sale and/or when I've got the Kohl's Cash. I noticed last time I was in BJ's wholesale club they had bath towels of the same brand name as Kohl's for a whole lot less so I bought them there.