Thursday, June 26, 2014

Recipe review, and getting creative in the kitchen

Part of joining a CSA is receiving items that one may not usually consume. Case in point: a lb of pasture raised, organic, ground lamb and a jar of what they call "everything sauce"-a spicy marinara made with heirloom tomatoes, containing horseradish as well as purslane.



Knowing that this was a spicy sauce, and finding it to be a bit watery, I added the following:

-Bayleaf
-4 beef bouillon cubes
-a good splash of red wine
-a Tbsp of sugar
-a cup of frozen, leftover, diced tomatoes (glad to use those up)
-sauteed onions, mixed peppers, celery that I cooked off in some Canola oil
-a 6 oz crash n burn can of tomato paste

I initially cooked the sauce on the stove while I mixed up the lamb along with 2 Italian sausage links (casings removed), eggs, milk, Italian seasoned bread crumbs, freshly grated Parmesan cheese, dried onion, salt free garlic and herb seasoning. I baked the meatballs off at 350 F for 30 minutes, then carefully placed them in a  Crock Pot, covered them with my doctored sauce and let them simmer 4 hours before supper.


Came out awesome! Previously, I've had lamb 2-3 times, and didn't care for it. No "lamby" taste here, very tender, moist, meatballs. I remain very happy. : )

Better still, I have this for the freezer:

My surgery is just around the corner, and having what I call "frozen assets" is a blessing!

2 comments:

Marcia in rural WNY said...

I find lamb to be delicious but I have to admit that the smell while cooking does turn me off a little. Nothing is better than $10 a lb thick loin lamb chops on the grill in summer! Needless to say, they are a rare treat, but I do buy them once in a while. We don't eat out a lot, so compared to that, not terribly expensive as a treat.

CTMOM said...

Marcia
This meat was expensive. Organic, pasture raised is pricey to say the least. They charge $10/lb if I buy a share (a whole lamb butchered to my specifications) and also sell it at $14/lb ground, if memory serves me well. Hating to waste it, I came up with a plan to disguise it, and use it. My plan worked. : )