Sunday, May 11, 2014

Saturday's shopping

Coupons in hand, list of needs and a list of "sales," I headed off to the grocery stores in the city, after making a trip to the transfer station to unload our recycling and trash. $8 later, I had an empty car. Pleased to report that we continue to recycle at least twice as much, if not more, than we have of actual trash/refuse.

First stop: Stop and Shop. A pricier store, but bargains can be had. I entered around 11 a.m.-the time that any marked downs are usually set out by. I got the following: 2 loaves of store brand Rye bread @ $1.24, 2 12 ct pkgs of store brand English muffins @ $1.49, a pkg of store brand whole wheat buns @ $1.24. All baked goods were 50% off.  3 newman's own organic Greek yogurts @ 67 after sale plus cpn, multiple boxes of barilla pasta @ 88 cents (great stock up price), 1 large jar of Dole mandarins @ $1.99 after cpn, 2 bags 8 O'clock coffee BOGO @ $5.99 so $3 ea, 1 family size bag Lay's potato chips @ $1.99 after cpn, 1 bottle Franks Sweet chilli sauce @ $1.99 after cpn, 1 French's Dijon @ $1.99 after cpn, 1 4 ct box of Good Season salad dressing mix @ $1.99 after sale plus cpn, 11.5 oz can Maxwell House coffee 49 cents (not a typo!) after sale + store cpn + manufacturer cpn, 1 box Triscuit Rye crackers $1.50 after sale + cpn, 2 bottles Pepsi and 1 of Schwepps ginger ale @ 99 ea, 1 box Quacker granola bars @ $2.50, 2 family sized boxes of Kraft mac n cheese @ $1.22 (good for emergency shelf or when kids are home alone), 1 Colgate toothpaste @ 99 cents after sale + cpn, 1 bottle Loreal color care shampoo $1.99 after sale + cpn, 1 Mennen speed stick deod $1 after sale plus cpn, 2 pkgs Oscar Mayer coldcuts (turkey and chicken) @ $2.49 after sale + cpn (same price as Aldi's version), 2 lb pkg of strawberries $3.99, 2 lbs carrots @ $1.99, 8 oz tub fresh mushrooms 89 cents after sale + store cpn, Pom coconut juice $1.50 after sale + cpn, a large musk melon 99 cents on marked down, 1 3 ct pkg Romaine hearts $2 sale.  I spent $69.68 out the door. I have yet to tabulate my actual cpn savings-their receipt offers false "savings" totals.

Store # 2: Dollar Tree where I bought the following: 4 large boxes Post great grains banana crunch cereal-awesome find!; 8 boxes tissues (allergies are fierce right now!), 2 boxes of fruit filled cereal bars, 4 8 ct pkgs eggs for baking/cooking (saving my farm eggs for when I serve eggs for bfst besides hard boiled), 2 3 ct pkgs rectangular aluminum pans with lids for freezer meals and for when my older son takes food home. I spent $20.64.

Store # 3: Aldi's, where I bought: 2 dairy section OJ (out of fzn until Tues-we'll run  out), 1 gallon milk, 2 large cans baked beans,10 lbs Russets-they FINALLY have fresh, non sprouting spuds in!, 4 fzn lemonade (noted price increase to 99 cents), a bag of chex type mix, a bag of sunflower kernals, 2 cubes lotion tissue. pouch of sliced Pepperoni, bologna, ham for sandwiches, a tub of vanilla bean ice cream for tonight's dessert, graham crackers, large box cheeze it type crackers, box honey nut "cheerios", 1 large can coffee (I now have 4 large cans plus a reg can and a reg bag on reserve in my pantry as an edge against the shortage. I won't be buying any more for some time now; 4 tubes fz 85% ground beef (noted price increase to $2.99/lb), chocolate syrup, 4 4 lb bags sugar, 2 boxes pastry crisps, 2 cans pears, 4 German chocolate bars for S'mores, 1 bag each reg and mini marshmallows (S'mores and ambrosia), 2 cans peaches, 2 cans mushrooms, 2 bags "doritos", 1 bag rice cakes, 2 boxes "oreos", 2 pkgs "fig newtons", wedge Parmesan, 1 fzn tube grnd turkey (noted price increase to $1.69), 1 4 ct pkgs Italian Kiwis, 2 cukes, onion rolls, Kaiser rolls.  I spent $110.70.

I am done for may, besides a must have such as milk. All of the above was paid for in CASH.

Supper was sloppy joes on Price Rite buns, a large salad. Weather was downright tropical: hot and humid. No A/C (we only have window units to be installed in the BR's anyway), so I kept the curtains closed, the windows/doors shut and ran an oscilating fan in the kitchen. Quite comfortable.

5 comments:

Bargain Mom said...

See! Now you know why I get kinda depressed to go to the grocery store. I hate the prices that are going up and the package sizes that are going down.
Luckily we aren't a family that eats a lot of bread since it's so expensive at the store. Meat is outrageous. I have a friend who's husband is a hunter - they have 3 deer in the freezer now. Have been eating that rather than beef (he is self employed and work has been nil during the winter)
Pretty much if he don't shoot it/fish it they don't eat it. We are eating more chicken because it's been cheaper and I stock up on whole birds everytime I can.

Coffee is my vice - and I use a Keurig type brewer. More per cup but I figured it out I spend about the same because I don't brew a whole pot and drink it. 2 cups at 40 cents each (BJs) and I'm done - better for my sleep too not to be sipping coffee all day because it's there

Debbie said...

Groceries are very expensive. I like Aldi and seem to do well there. I have found a few things that are the same prices, as in CT. The ground beef 85% and the ground turkey are comparable. I usually buy the 85% beef, and we eat a lot of ground turkey. We eat a lot of chicken, since Aldi has whole birds for 95 cents a lb.

CTMOM said...

Bargain,
Yes, it's unsettling to see these increases. Choices are to either pay the prices being asked, or use less. My budget for groceries needs to stay as it is, so less will be offered of some foods on our table. Coffee isn't something I want to give up, fortunately I never was a coffee house frequenter. Still, if it becomes ridiculous, once my stores are used up, I'd have to switch to tea. Not my preference, but then again, I prefer to be able to follow my chosen path, financially speaking. Aldi's has whole chickens @ 95/lb-a good value. I see more and more chicken in our future.

CTMOM said...

Bargain,
Yes, it's unsettling to see these increases. Choices are to either pay the prices being asked, or use less. My budget for groceries needs to stay as it is, so less will be offered of some foods on our table. Coffee isn't something I want to give up, fortunately I never was a coffee house frequenter. Still, if it becomes ridiculous, once my stores are used up, I'd have to switch to tea. Not my preference, but then again, I prefer to be able to follow my chosen path, financially speaking. Aldi's has whole chickens @ 95/lb-a good value. I see more and more chicken in our future.

CTMOM said...

Debbie
Yes, Aldi's is a God send for my budget. I can't afford to shop all the time at the local chains, such as IGA, Shoprite and Stop and Shop.