Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Plan B,and talking ground meats

Temps hit 93 in the city this afternoon-blech! Knowing the forecast, I scratched the original plan for crockpot  chilli and corn bread. Instead, I sauteed some organic, Swiss chard for a side dish. Main entree was a 12 oz box of penne pasta (sale), topped with a homemade marinara: 29 oz can tomato puree, pint home canned tomatoes, 8 oz of fzn onion-pepper "stir fry" from the Dollar Tree, some pickeld garlic, one stalk celery that I chopped, Bay leaf, black pepper, Italian spices, 2 beef bouillon cubes, red wine, can mushrooms, about 6 oz leftover sloppy joe meat (made from ground turkey).

Speaking of ground turkey: this remains a significantly cheaper alternative to ground beef. I use it for tacos, seasoning it with my own taco mix. I wondered today if I couldn't use the ground turkey and season it with Italian spices and fry it off before adding it to spaghetti sauce. Worth experimenting. Anyone try this already?

5 comments:

Bargain Mom said...

I've used ground turkey in chili and sauce too. I find it helps to onion & garlic it up if using it Italian sauce since it's kinda blandi. My chili is spicy so it works well there too. I can't get my family to eat it as turkey burgers or meatloaf so I use it where I can and save beef for those items. You're right it's cheaper by a lot! I usually stick to butterball or shady brook farms when it's on sale though...just my preference.

Rachel said...

Personally I can't get hubby on board with ground turkey in anything, but a dear friend of mine uses ground turkey exclusively. She said make sure you add plenty of pepper to the meat as it is frying off, and she also add diced green pepper and onion when she uses it for spaghetti sauce.

Shara said...

I've used it with success for tacos, pasta sauces, chili, stuffed peppers, meatloaf/meatballs, etc. I've found the secret is that it really does need a little more spice or a slightly stronger spice blend. My daughter in law makes a great crockpot meatloaf with ground turkey.

DW said...

We've done it for pasta sauce and chili, and meatballs. I agree with the other posters who say that it needs more seasoning/or stronger seasonings.

Catherine said...

I love this recipe that I adapted from WW.
Pasta with Meat Sauce
7 PointsPlus Value
Ingredients
1 spray(s) cooking spray
1 clove minced garlic or to taste
1 lb uncooked lean ground turkey
1/8 t red pepper flakes
15 oz canned tomato sauce
15 oz canned diced tomatoes with seasonings
12 oz box whole wheat pasta penne
1/2 c shredded fat free mozzarella cheese
Instructions
Coat a small nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat; add garlic and cook, stirring, until lightly browned. Add ground turkey and cook, stirring and breaking up meat with a wooden spoon until crumbled and well-browned. Add red pepper flakes, tomato sauce and diced tomatoes; heat through and season to taste. Spoon sauce over pasta and sprinkle with cheese.