Sunday, May 4, 2014

Farm fresh

breakfast this morning: local, organic, free range eggs from a farm not far from here. Not sure one can tell from the photo, but the color of these eggs is so different from conventional, store bought eggs. The hue of the yolks is a deep, orange-yellow. Delicious fried in some reserved bacon fat, served over toasted, home made, honey-wheat bread. OJ and coffee accompanied. I paid 3 X's what I would otherwise, with proceeds going directly to the farmer and the quality incomparable to what one normally finds at the shops. I prefer to reserve these eggs for breakfast and use the more economically acquired eggs (at last shopping trip, Dollar Tree medium eggs, 8 ct for $1 was the best bet), for my baking and cooking.

Sunday lunch is just me (so leftovers/whatever I can wrestle up will do) as DD is working and boys are with Dad until late afternoon, college boy may/not join us for supper-haven't heard from him yet today, he's certainly still asleep! I slept in-it was 6 a.m. when I rose for the morning.

Sunday supper: meatloaf (using beef/turkey mixture as well as homemade bread crumbs from the heels of my homemade bread) roasted rosemary potatoes, roasted parsnips and carrots, fzn peas. Keeping it simple. Still on the mend, cough is improving and is more productive (a concern for asthmatics) and I am going through boxes upon boxes of tissues. Need to take another TLC day, as I must return to work tomorrow. Not much on deck for me besides supper prep, some laundry (caving and using the dryer to expedite and it's supposed to rain soon), a set of essay's to mark, a bit of mending for college boy-all low energy tasks.

2 comments:

Bargain Mom said...

Get your rest! You're gonna need it!!

Rachel said...

Get some rest. I hope you feel better soon.

I had to laugh when I saw your post this morning when I was reading blogs....I have a picture of farm fresh eggs on my post as well. We were gifted 2 dozen farm fresh eggs and it is the first time I have had eggs like that. I fried 2 up this morning and they were delicious!