Saturday, May 3, 2014

CSA 2014 # 2

Friday was a busy day, up and out early to attend a before work breakfast, hosted by our Dept. I had my OJ at home, as usual, my coffee in the car, and I nibbled on a muffin I made. Once at work, I noted that I really wasn't feeling well, had no appetite. By 11 a.m., I was miserable, praying that the time would move faster until I could leave. Hacking cough, watery eyes, scratchy throat, general malaise.  I skipped lunch, but forced myself to have some yogurt and a cup of tea. Recent warm weather (hit 75 on Wed) meant that all of the trees popped at once. I am allergic to several trees. Even with OTC and RX meds, I was miserable. Hoped that this was allergies and not a virus, but also glad that the weekend was approaching as I could stay in bed. No more sick leave=$$$ if I call out. Once home, I went to bed for 3 hours, sleeping. I suspect that I had a fever.I felt hungry, which I took as a good sign. College boy was to come over, DD would be getting off work, so I had CB picked up some pizza. I enjoyed my 2 slices and some salad, along with a glass of soda, followed by a severe coughing fit. I ended up getting sick-from the coughing? part of whatever ails me? who knows. Kids helped me, I went to bed. : (

This morning, I woke up early, had some crackers and soda, went back to sleep. The coughing is better, which was a concern as it was croupy since I am an asthmatic (mild and well controlled), seems to be more upper respiratory this morning, blowing my nose a lot. So, an at home TLC day it will be. I managed to have a bowl of cereal, so far so good.

On the way home, as is my new routine, I stopped at the organic farm for my CSA share this week:  tulips, mixed baby salad greens, purple scallions, French radishes, a jar of what they call "Everything sauce"-a spicy sauce that can be used for Bloody Mary's/a simmering sauce with meat/a dip etc; a jar of picked garlic. I paid additional $ for a treat: a dozen organic, free range eggs.

Need some tips/idea on using the pickled garlic . . any suggestion welcomed!

8 comments:

Catherine said...

Looks so much nicer than your last CSA! Feel better soon!

missy said...

I make and use Pickled Garlic just like regular fresh garlic. I chop it up and toss it into stir-fry, pasta sauce, smash it and spread it on garlic bread, soups etc.
The great thing about the garlic being pickled is that it now has PROBIOTICS which help heal and populate ones gut/ stomach with good bacteria. Since you're now under the weather this would be GREAT for you!!

Marcia said...

The only thing I've seen pickled garlic served with is an antipasto or relish tray. No other ideas, except I kind of like the stuff.
Be careful with your illness--there is a cold going around here that turns into pneumonia easily---my sister is an OR nurse and they've had people admitted with the pneumonia. My DD has had a severe cough/cold/sinus thing for a couple weeks--we're asthmatics too, so I know the concerns! Her insurance didn't kick in until May 1st, so she was reluctant to go to the dr but now thinks it's getting better, just severe cough left mostly.

Ms. Sandie Apuzzo said...

No idea on the garlic, but hope you feel better quickly!

Florence said...

No idea what to do with pickled garlic! But I do hope you are feeling better soon!

young77 said...

Feel better soon. I'm asthmatic,too, so know how important taking good care of yourself is.

The ideas for the pickled garlic from Missy sounds really good.

Belinda said...

I hope you are feeling better today, Carol.

Lili said...

Not a fun way to spend the weekend. But at least it did happen at the weekend, and you didn't need to take time off from work. Hope you're feeling better toady!