Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Turkey leftovers on Tuesday

 Sunday supper's roast turkey leftovers formed the base of tonight's dinner. Into my Dutch oven, I placed 4 Red Bliss potatoes, cubed; my last 4 carrots from the grocery store, leftover corn from Monday, a pkg of fzn pearl onions in cream sauce, a large container of turkey stock made from the picked off carcass, a fzn margarine tub filled with l/o turkey gravy, Bell's seasoning, black pepper, a large Bay leaf, l/o roasted Butternut squash cubes, the rest of the turkey, including the meat from the turkey neck and carcass,cubed;  the end of a new bunch of celery, chopped, 6 large mushrooms, quartered. I left this simmer until the fresh vegetables were almost cooked through. I then made a batch of "Bisquick" dumplings using my homemade version of the mix, the rest of a block of Colby Jack cheese (approx 1 oz) that I hand shredded, some dried onion, some Bell's seasoning, some Italian herbs, milk. I dropped these herbed cheese dumplings onto the bubbling stew and let it cook 10 minutes, uncovered. I then returned the cover to the pot, and let the dumplings steam another 10 minutes.
A nice, hot meal on a raw, damp, rainy night. Perfect.

4 comments:

Chris said...

Hi there, mmmmmm, sounds like a really welcoming supper on such a rainy day as this. What happened to my invitation, LOL I'm just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

Ms. Sandie Apuzzo said...

Looks delicious! I've never tried to make dumplings, always thought they would be difficult.

CTMOM said...

Sandie
Dumplings are very easy to do. Mix up a dough, drop them as mounds on top of a bubbling stew. Cook 10 minutes, uncovered then cover and cook 10 more. Can jazz them up with herbs, chopped/shredded vegetables, dried fruit, grated cheese, beaten egg. Very adaptable.
HTH

young77 said...

My mouth is watering! Yum!