Sunday, April 20, 2014

Sprucing up Saturday



Up and out early for a return visit to our organic, CSA farm for an update on the animals (2 kidlets went for the first time). Lambs were moved to pasture for the first time, so cute!  Got a tour of the grounds, but not as extensive as we'll have next week, when just DD and I return again. These outings are freebies, included in our CSA membership. A quick 10 minute drive from our home, too. The Spring CSA will start next Friday, and I'll be able to pick up on my way home from work-awesome. Just a 3 minute detour off of a main road to get to the farm, veering from my normal route home. Very little additional fuel will be used. Perfect. I am really looking forward to this.

One kidlet had a lesson to attend in the city. While he was busy doing that, I ran over to Aldi's for a few things: whole milk, 1 % milk, kielbasa, strawberries, Parmesan wedge, stick margarine, graham and cinnamon graham crackers, no boil lasagna sheets, 1 12 pack each of root beer and ginger ale.



I also bought a replacement market umbrella and a LED light kit for our patio set. This is a set that I have refurbished over and over again. The table harks from the 1960's as far as I can tell: round, steel, mesh top, collapsable table that I am the third owner of. It was given to me, painted white. I had it sanded and repainted black last year. No chairs, but this rental came with 4 white, stackable, plastic chairs, with instructions from the realtor to do with them as I want-toss, keep, leave behind when I go. I'm keeping them. : )    The market umbrella was originally trashed picked by DX years ago; it's on a wooden pole, and has a neutral beige, canvas cover. It was ripped, which is probably why someone just tossed it. DX brought it home, I washed it, sewed it, good as new! It served me well for years. The fabric has finally rotted out, and we lost the pin that keeps the umbrella open (used a nail last year). Time for a new cover! but I couldn't find just a cover. : (      Instead, while shopping, I found 2 sources of replacement market umbrellas: Aldi's and Xpect. Since I was at Aldi's, I bought it there, choosing a red one. There was also a black and white stripped one (feared that the white would get dirty quickly) as well as an olive/brown/tan stripe and an olive one. $29.99 plus tax. The LED light kit (tried last night, works well), was $7.99.



We kept everything off of the deck last Summer as we were told in MAY that the handyman was coming back to paint. Never happened. Should he come back this year? if we are still here, HE can move it.





So now the deck is set, with the exception of planting some vegetables in the 2 large planters.

Did a load of towels, partially dried in the dryer, then hung out to finish drying in the breeze. After lunch and first calling ahead to make sure that they would still be open, I drove the trash and recycling over to the transfer station. $3.40 in trash fees @ 20 cents/lb.

Lunch was leftovers. DS # 1 was here for round 2 of odd jobs for pay. He made himself a bologna and cheese sandwich while we were out. 2 other DS's finished the cheese filled, stuffed shells. I made some tuna salad, had a tuna salad on toast sandwich with a tossed salad on the side. DD was off to work, toted some yogurt, granola bars, fruit etc in a lunch bag.

Supper was very late for us: birthday boy *(officially the 22nd but we chose to celebrate on Sat) chose take out Chinese, and I had funds to cover it. 25 minute drive to his restaurant of choice, then home again to cook the Aldi;s pot stickers and chicken egg rolls. Worked out fine. Fortune cookies and almond cookies were dessert. Choice of beverages. Although I made his birthday cake yesterday, I suggested that we save that for Easter dinner's dessert. All agreed. We gave him his cards and gifts, he seemed happy.

2 comments:

Belinda said...

The deck looks great! Very nice. I'd be out there enjoying the day.

Happy Birthday to your son. Sounds like a nice low-key celebration. My kind of celebration. :)

CTMOM said...

Thanks, Belinda. The deck itself needs some repairs as well as paint-another postponed job on the part of the LL. I'll only invest in items that I can take with me. My funds were stretched while I was on medical leave (unpaid), and we're trying to recouperate, financially speaking, and build up more $ for the house account. About 55 degrees here, but warm in the sun. 2 loads of wash outside now drying, heat is off. Nice day. Happy Easter!