Saturday, April 26, 2014

Rising food prices

Trying to keep a limit on our grocery shopping to needs, unless I come across a bargain on something that we frequently use. Today, I hit several stores (see other post) but also some grocery stores.
1-Price Rite: goal was to get 2 jugs of scoopable cat liter, but I also got a qt of regular green relish, 2 large cans of coffee (now 50 cents cheaper than Aldi's), 2 bottles spicy brown mustard, 4 roma tomatoes, a bottle of USA honey, a pkg each of hot dog and hamburger buns. $31.12, including the $7.98 plus tax liter which I account for separately

2-Xpect: goal was bread flour, which they were out of last time. I ended up buying 20 lbs (4 bags) of King Arthur unbleached bread flour-still pricier than the Pillsbury I was buying, but the KA flour at Xpect was about $1.50/bag less than the pricey IGA in town. I also bought: 1 double recipe sized can of sloppy joe sauce, 5 assorted flavors soda (2 L bottles), 2 qts low fat vanilla yogurt, and 2 cans of AK wild caught salmon



This is a new brand to Xpect, but one that I recognize. They also have a cheaper option available, but it's from China-a region I prefer not to buy from. I aim to support American fishermen and canneries. $2.67-2 cents cheaper than Aldi's, which is also AK wild caught salmon. So sad that we can no longer afford canned, red sockeye salmon (my preference) as it's $8.49/can-I may as well buy it fresh or frozen at that price! I bought 2 of these cans to try, not anticipating any issues.

3-Aldi-goal was to purchase the bulk of the items on my list from this store. I bought: 2 gallons milk, 6 boxes cold cereal (cheerios, honey nut cheerios, flakes-boring, healthier types), plain bagels, raisin bagels, canned mushrooms, fruit cocktail, grape tomatoes, a take n bake pizza for supper, a pkg of sliced ham for sandwiches, bologna, 4 fzn OJ, qt 1/2 & 1/2, 4 cans chunk tuna, canola oil, 2 bags chips, 2 bags "doritos", dill spears, dill pickles chips, bananas, bagged almonds, saltines, ice cream. I spent $65.39, saved 40 cents with bottle returns.

4-Dollar Tree-Mother's Day card, a bottle of cold soda (I was thirsty), 2 bags onion rings, 4 bars chocolate from Poland, a microwave plate cover, 2 4 ct pkgs of aluminum take away trays with covers for when DS wants to bring food back home, eggs.

Eggs used to be $1/dozen medium but then the regular stores were selling them for less, when compared. I stopped buying medium eggs at the DT, as they weren't such a good deal-especially when they dropped the count down to 8. Fast forward and egg prices are escalating. Around Easter, $1.49/dozen large  at Aldi's, 99 cents/doz large at Target. Aldi's today was selling large eggs for $1.89. I knew that I could do better. The DT eggs cost 12.5 cents/egg. Aldi's eggs cost 15.8 cents/egg. I was taught years ago that if the difference between 2 sizes of eggs is 12 cents/dozen, buy the larger eggs. In this case, the DT eggs cost $1.50/dozen so $1.62 would be a good price for the large eggs, not $1.89. Yes, it's pennies, but I'm pinching every penny I have at the moment. Medium eggs will have to do for now. I bought 4 cartons. I spent a total of $15.62.

7 comments:

j said...

CTMOM said...


I am checking things to the penny also. Prices are just crazy! We even regifted for two babyshowers and I made a blanket for each.

CTMOM said...

last post was a re-post of J's comment, deleted in error

Cheapchick said...

In Canada the cheapest eggs I can get any size are $1.99 on sale which are about $1.80 USD. I would love to buy free range but at $4.50 a dozen not going to happen.

DW said...

Carol, how's your Dollar Tree on cereal selection?

CTMOM said...

DW
DT tends to sell small sized cold and hot cereal. As long as you find an item you like, say oatmeal packets, do the maths-I have bought 6 ct boxes of oatmeal packets, which is the equivalent of $1.33/8 count package. There is what I call junky cereal-the fluorescent colors stuff, but also shredded wheat, cr of wheat etc. Name and off brand names of labels.
HTH

DW said...

Their instant oatmeal is pretty good (and DH will eat it ;) Last couple of times, I've lucked into full size boxes of Kashi cereals ...