Friday, April 25, 2014

CSA 2014: week 1

I was able to be one of the select few who are able to buy into the extended, organic CSA shares at the new to us, local farm and participate in the Spring share, which officially started today. Happy with what we got today, with promises of much more to follow now that it seems* that Winter has loosened it's grasp on CT. Included in today's share: peach blossoms, a quart of Heirloom tomato marinara that they make from their tomatoes/garlic/onion/herbs etc; fzn lb of ground lamb, a bunch of Wintered over carrots, a bunch of pea shoots, a bunch of ramps, and a bonus: grab a handful of the loose carrots, if you can use them.

Although a CSA member for 4 years, I've never had ramps or pea shoots before. I assume that one eats all of the plant, and I plan on making a quiche with the ramps, and perhaps a stir fry for the pea shoots. Any ideas or tips are welcomed!  Additionally, I've only had lamb a few times in my life, and didn't particularly care for it. I am thinking meatballs in marinara-thoughts?

9 comments:

Bargain Mom said...

Lamb kofta (lamb meatballs). Yum. I don't care for lamb usually - but will eat these. I'll see if I can find a good recipe I had in my recipe box...

What is a ramp?

I wish we had a CSA closer....

slugmama said...

Ground lamb?
Ersatz Gyros!

CTMOM said...

Bargain

Here's a link about ramps:

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/ramps/

We are blessed to have so many, small (and mostly organic) farms here.

Belinda said...

There is a Ramp Festival here every year. They serve them with pinto beans, sort of like onions, so they will go very well in a quiche.

Blissfulbutterfly said...

This is a simple, cheap gyro recipe I've used many times, even substituting ground chicken if I can't find lamb. The actual cooking/recipe starts at the 4 minute mark. The rest is just a bunch of blabbering. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N82GKPzsa3E&list=UUnJIu8c2brk4lfEeV9wg9UA

Marcia said...

Lamb is perfectly delicious, although I must admit that I find the smell of it cooking kind of off-putting. Just grilled lamb burgers are good, if you want to use that much meat for one meal. I like the taste once it's cooked--nothing better than grilled lamb chops in summer--those $9-11/per lb loin chops, about an inch thick are wonderful. Rosemary and garlic are most often used to flavor it. When we lived in England, lamb from New Zealand was always super-cheap--it was one of my "week before payday" go-to's. Times have changed since then.

CTMOM said...

Marcia
Thanks for your suggestions. I keep reducing the amount of meat served at meals; 2 medium sized meatballs per serving with pasta for instance. Meatballs (using bread crumbs) stretches what meat we do have-thus, my thought to go to meatballs. Lamb is lean, so I think a meatloaf would be dry-burgers would be ok if I added shredded veg, beaten egg, herbs much like I do my chicken/ground turkey patties.

Yes, lamb is expensive. I especially do not want to waste this. I also suspect more will be included in my weekly pick ups.

mikemax said...

I have never cared for lamb. My parents used to have it when they were feeling flush. I've never cooked it. My DS likes lamb very much, although I'm not sure where he acquired the taste...or even ate it! He says the trick is not to cook it too much. Good lamb is usually served rare. I don't eat rare meat, either, but DS says it's OK at medium or medium/rare. So, whatever you do with it...don't cook it too much!

Liz Bernard said...

I had pea-shoots at a very expensive - and lovely - restaurant. They were added to pasta, pea puree and asparagus - it was delicious. Spring on a plate.