Sunday, April 27, 2014

A luxurious Sunday breakfast, on the cheap



Taking a page out of Frugal Queen's book, I've followed her technique for making quiche:

http://www.frugalqueen.co.uk/2013/08/how-to-make-quiche-and-supper-for-72p.html


I started by chopping the organic CSA ramps up, and placing them in a medium skillet. I added the rest of the Easter ham (now chopped). It was a bit more meat than I would normally use, but it needed to be used up. I added 3 large mushrooms, sliced and 2 pats of margarine as the ham was lean. I sauteed this mixture until the vegetables were soft. Initially, the ramps were quite strong or pungent. Once cooked, they mellowed out. First time cooking and eating them.

Meanwhile, I lined a quiche pan with a crust, dotted it with a fork and brushed some good, Dijon mustard over the bottom. I par baked it for 5 minutes.

I added the cooked mixture to the quiche pan, topped it with about 1 cup of Cheddar cheese that I hand grated (leftover freebie from a work luncheon. Cheese is expensive!).

I then made a batter out of 4 eggs, 1/2 cup whole milk (DS is away this weekend and he's the only one who drinks the whole milk, usually so I sacrificed his milk vs "ours" which is low fat. I normally would have used 1/2 and 1/2 or cream. I added some black pepper to this batter, then poured it evenly over the ingredients filling the quiche pan.

It's now baking off and smells wonderful! OJ, coffee, canned fruit cocktail in juice to accompany.

3 comments:

Sandy M. said...

I can almost smell it.YUM!

Julie Vidani said...

that sounds delicious! I always think a good quiche is made using odd leftovers :)

Rhonda said...

Looks delicious! I had 19 guests for Easter Eve. We had a ham and traditional sides and I made 2 quiches. The quiches were a favorite.
I hope to get some crusts made and put in the freezer so I can bake quiche more often,