Thursday, March 6, 2014

What to do when you don't have Rye bread

I love a tuna salad sandwich on toasted, Jewish Rye bread with seeds. Delicious! This has been my preference since I was a child. After PT today, I decided to swing by Price Rite, as we were getting low on milk, even though my intention has been to stay away from the stores. Keeping my tight budget in mind, I bought the following: 1 head of green leaf lettuce, one head of red leaf lettuce, 3 lbs onions, a pint of heavy cream (a dollop on top of boring pudding or Jello certainly makes it much more decadent in my book), 2 gallons milk, 2 frozen OJ, a lb of stick margarine. While I eyeballed the store for other bargains, I also looked over the breads. Nope, can't buy any we need to make do! I spent $14.53 CASH.

So back home, I reviewed my ABM cookbook and came across a recipe for Dill Wheat bread

Image courtesy of DVO.com (where you can find several links to the Betty Crocker's Bread Machine Cookbook., including this one. I am mixing up a batch of dough, however, for a 2 lb and not the 1 1/2 lb loaf recipe as indicated on the website link.  Since I use dill with my tuna salad, I thought that this would be a good alternative; I like that it contains caraway, for the Jewish Rye flavor. Recipe review tomorrow, as I intend for this bread to be used for luncheon sandwiches.

Additional baking today: a batch of what I call "monkey bars" a banana-mini chocolate chip bar cookie recipe that is a great way to use up ripe bananas.

Here's a link: http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/30120/Banana-Mini-Morsel-Bars/detail.aspx

Finally, since the oven is on, I am using the rest of the remaining, over-ripe bananas to make a banana-walnut bread, using the last of my walnuts. I am lucky that I still have a supply of gifted to me, SC pecans to turn to, otherwise, we'd do without.
Here's a link:
http://ctonabudget.blogspot.com/2011/12/yankee-magazines-banana-bread.html

No comments: