Sunday, March 16, 2014

Wardrobe purge: phase 1

Image: http://www.google.com/imgres?espv=210&es_sm=122&biw=1517&bih=741&tbm=isch&tbnid=PIZKVm6hmp2D7M%3A&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fadvicefromatwentysomething.com%2Fspring-cleaning-closet-cleanout%2F&docid=LCzbJ0dII7WS9M&imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fadvicefromatwentysomething.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F04%2Fcloset-cleanout.jpg&w=620&h=519&ei=UO8lU5CLNMKM0AGToIGoCw&zoom=1&ved=0CGoQhBwwCA&iact=rc&dur=1721&page=1&start=0&ndsp=20

This has been on my list for a while. I've gone through my underthings, nightwear, casual pants aka track pants/sweats, socks/nylons/peds. I'm in great shape in those departments.

Next: removing the Winter/Fall clothes from the bottom bar in my closet, moving the Summer/Spring clothes down from the top bar, finally returning the Winter things, but this time, to the top bar. While doing so, I started to purge: a large kitchen garbage bag is now full, and awaits a donation drop off this week. 1/2 of my clothing was returned to my closet, about 1/4th awaits me, now set on a side chair in my room.

Phase 2: go through the clothes on the chair and either place in closest or donation bag; go through 2 bins of stored clothes and make a decision about them. Finally, move the empty bins to storage down cellar.

I am being ruthless: stained, too small/too big, never fit right, I have something I like better, bad color, bad style, out of style, what was I thinking etc -it's all gotta go. I don't need or want clutter in my life, and I freely pass it along to someone else who can hopefully benefit from it.

Phase 3: go through  my shoes. My foot arthritis isn't ever going to go away, time to reduce my shoes as well. Additionally, I want to go through the coat closet and purge anything not being used.

My list of needs is getting smaller. While initially I thought I'd need to buy some new dressier T's/tops, I have plenty already that I can use over the next 10 work weeks, into Summer. I have some older, lightweight cardigans that will have to do. One area of need: pants.

I'm too tired to do any more today. I'm off for a nap.

2 comments:

Grammy Goodwill said...

I did the same thing today. I thought I needed a dress for my step-son's wedding until I unpacked my summer tote. There was a great dress in there I can wear.
I don't have arthritis but I do have plantar fascitis. I only wear Clark shoes. Have you tried those?

CTMOM said...

Grammy
Great to find that needed items are already on hand! I have hallux rigidus, which is bi-lateral arthritis of the big toe joint where it meets the foot. Same OA condition in my thumbs (also bilaterally)You can thank my Dad's side of the family, which is riddled with arthritis. : (
I keep telling myself it's not cancer. : )
I do have one pair of Clarks. I also have multiple pairs of Dansko clogs, bought back when I also suffered from plantar fascitis. Not fun. Clogs made such a difference for me. I now have to be careful with what I wear on my feet, got so bad, I couldn't even wear sneakers. Since getting diagnosed, I am in a lot less pain, as I know what to do. Some days are better than others, it is what it is.