Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Trying something new: Chic pea burgers& recipe review

Well it's Ash Wednesday, and only 2 for supper (have yet to hear from college boy, so it may become an extra person or 2). While I do have leftovers on hand, they are meat based, so it's on to something new. I've been meaning to try these for a while, first getting the inspiration from Frugal Queen: (http://www.frugalqueen.co.uk/2013/03/chick-pea-burgers-and-chilli-and-ginger.html).

In my email this morning, I received several recipes from Allen's beans, including this one:

Garbanzo Burgers

Ingredients:
2 15 oz. cans Allens Garbanzo Beans (Chick Peas)-used my last 2 cans, still have dried
2 Tbsp. Dried chives (* I substituted a good, 3 Tbsp of Lea and Perrins white Worcestershire sauce, plus 1 Tbsp dried, minced onion)
2 Tbsp. Mustard
2 tsp. Soy sauce
*added an egg to the mix as it seemed awfully dry (this happened to Froogs as well** )
*added one carrot, pulsed thru the food processor
1 cup Bread crumbs
1/4 cup Flour
1/4 cup Canola oil
Burger buns and toppings
Directions
Drain and rinse Allens Garbanzo Beans. In a large bowl, combine beans, chives, mustard and soy sauce using an electric mixer.(I did it all in the food processor) Add breadcrumbs and mix well. Spread flour on a plate. Form bean mixture into 4 patties. Turn patties in the flour, coating them on each side. Refrigerate patties for 30 minutes or longer. In a medium pan, heat oil on medium-high. Shallow fry patties. Brown on both sides, the remove to drain on paper towels. Serve either plain or on burger buns with your favorite toppings.

Makes 4 servings

I did dust mine (made 5 generous patties) in flour, and they are now wrapped in wax paper and chilling off. I will cook them in a bit of oil, using my griddle. Side will be stir fried Bok Choy with a generous amount of Frank's sweet chilli sauce. 

Has anyone else ever made chic pea burgers? I made black bean burgers (actually on the menu tomorrow) that we really like.


UPDATE/RECIPE REVIEW: after chilling in the fridge, these seemed really dense, I worried that they would come out like hockey pucks! No fears, I browned them off, and while the outside was crunchy/crisp, the inside was soft and smooth. Would definitely make these again, but would make them even smaller, as they are filling. I had mine on a plate, drenched in sweet chilli sauce. Another recommendation is to amp up the seasonings a bit. 

3 comments:

Bargain Mom said...

Never made them. But I bet they're great with cucumber yogurt sauce!

Marcia in rural WNY said...

My older DD was a vegetarian and I've made "meatloaf" from chick peas before, and she made a nutburger recipe which she got from a bakery she used to work at. Even the veggie burgers (Morningstar) you buy frozen aren't bad. We had them available in a couple restaurants near work and I have ordered them from time to time. I don't like a lot of kinds of beans, but chick peas are tasty! I have heart disease so I'm always looking for ways to cut down on meat portions, especially red meat. Today I made burgers with Pepper Jack cheese on them, which we ate with l/o tomato basil soup. Loved the cheese but this was a definite treat, not something I will be eating often. I start with a 4 oz burger, so am estimating it's closer to 3 oz when cooked. Casseroles, of course, stretch meat further but you don't want casseroles every night!

Lili said...

Bean burgers of all kinds area a regular on our menus. I've made them with garbanzo beans, but they are so dry. I prefer to save the garbanzos for marinating in oil/vinegar to add to salads.

This week's bean burgers were made with pintos. My family doesn't like them on buns, but prefers them with a sauce of some sort (100 island is a favorite), and served with oven fries. I add egg, bread crumbs, minced onion, minced garlic, and whatever seasonings sound good to us. I brown them in some oil in a skillet, then bake them to firm up.