Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Today's baking

 Image: allrecipes.com via Google

My camera on my phone remains broken, so Google is filling in. Today's baking inspiration was a hunt to use up the 1 cup of pumpkin puree that was residing in the fridge. I came across a pumpkin bread recipe in one of my ABM cookbooks.

1 cup pumpkin
1/2 cup plus 2 T water
3/4 tsp vanilla
2 T margarine/butter
4 cups bread flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon (called for pumpkin pie spice, I don't use it)
1 3/4 tsp yeast

I used the ABM to mix and initially rise the dough, then transferred it to a loaf pan to rise again before baking. Came out nice, a light golden orange hue to the loaf. It is a bread loaf not a soft, moist tea loaf like banana bread. It's intended for toast and sandwiches. I like the idea of vegetable based breads for added nutrition.
Image: KingArthur.com via Google

Since the oven was going to be on, I used this Christmas gift, adding some crystallized organic ginger (purchased on the marked down shelf when a store was re-organizing the shelves). Smells wonderful! I am looking forward to having a piece with a hot cup of tea tonight.

3 comments:

Bargain Mom said...

Looks yummy!
Can you point me in the direction if instructions for adding photos again?

CTMOM said...

Bargain

2 ways that I know to put photos onto a blog. (we both use Blogger)
At the top of the toolbar section of the blogger "new post" template, in the middle, you will find a baby blue picture. CLick on that. You will be able to either add a photo that is already on your desktop, that you have labeled and saved OR first go to Google and copy/past then label that borrowed image, and save it to the desktop, then downloading and attaching it to the blogger template. Wherever you place your curser within the blogger template is where the photo will show up. Type away as you wish. You can move the photo to the left, to the right or simply leave it centered, which I believe is the default position.

HTH

DW said...

My ABM also has a recipe for pumpkin sandwich bread ... it's very good for toast!