Sunday, March 16, 2014

Sunday supper: corned beef and cabbage

Image:  https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTY1YL2ovekPnD8Nsy1yzJPpo1jd3A2qKmzamaT6t2UhBYkLt-G

Sunday supper this week is St Pat's corned beef and cabbage, a day early. I have my freebie corned beef (paid for thru the GC received last week), carrots ($.249/5 lb bag), red bliss potatoes $2.50 (GC again), the rest of a large, 49/lb green cabbage (using the oldest up first). I will cook this on the stove top, transfer the meat to a plate and keep it warm in the oven, while I cook the vegetables in the corned beef cooking broth. Planned overs for tomorrow, so I am precooking some extra potatoes for Monday's supper. Good planning as I am a bit under the weather, possibly fighting a cold. : (

Later today, I will make a homemade, Irish soda bread to accompany. Here's my recipe:
Whole Wheat Irish soda bread

2 cups white flour (I use unbleached)
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp sal
4 Tbsp cold butter
1 cup raisins
1  1/2 cups buttermilk or plain yogurt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
Cut in butter using a until it is pea-sized.
Stir in raisins and buttermilk.
Turn the dough onto a floured surface, knead 1 minute,then shape into a disk
Cut an X into the top, bake on a greased cookie sheet for 45 minutes. YUM!


No comments: