Thursday, March 6, 2014

Seeking use it up ideas for pantry ingredients




I normally keep a well stocked, pantry with a variety of foods on hand. We are in use it up, or make do without mode. Last night, I went through my baking cupboards, consolidated some items. While we are in budget crisis mode, one of the things that I can continue to do (theme of the household is "no expenses beyond what's necessary")is to continue to provide homemade, baked goods aka treats.

Now I am looking at just what is on hand, in the baking department,and I am seeking suggestions/recipes to use up the following:

-citron: the candied, glace fruit peels normally used in holiday fruit cake
-diced bits of candied ginger
-slices of candied ginger
-sweetened coconut
-about 1 cups's worth of raspberry/chocolate swirl "chocolate chips"
-chopped dates
-prunes
-craisins
-dried figs
-corn starch
-popover mix (can it be used for something else?)


TIA!

Note that I am out of:
-chocolate chips
-sweetened condensed milk
-walnuts

7 comments:

Melissa Tammy Foley said...

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Fig-Spice-Cake/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Thumb&e11=dried%20figs&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page&soid=sr_results_p1i2

Here's a recipe for using up your dried figs. Hope that helps!

Shara said...



I think that a version of "fruit cake" cookies using up the fruits you have on hand would work.

However, all of those fruits should be good in muffins, too...which might give you more bang for your buck without using a ton of extra sugar. My family likes crasins in bread (like raisin bread), but use a bit of your OJ as the liquid and for the glaze liquid.

Corn starch -- pudding, gravies, white sauces/cheese sauces, etc.

On the popovers, I don't have a clue about the mixes.

NAN said...

I bake several delicious holiday fruitcakes every October. You can use all the ingredients you listed but the popover mix?? and cornstarch to make one. You'll just need flour, sugar, butter/shortening and eggs to complete it- spices as you like and maybe a little baking soda. I like to add a little brandy to mine. I can find you a recipe if you don't have one. I also add nuts!

Lili said...

Carol, for Easter brunch I make a sweet yeast bread, that uses fruitcake fruit, combined with dried fruit (calls for golden raisins, but I usually use regular raisins, dried cherries or craisins). My family loves this and is very disappointed when I don't make it. It's called Austrian Almond Braid Bread.

Here's the link if you want to see what it looks like and what else is in it:

http://creativesavv.blogspot.com/2013/03/easter-menus-plus-recipe-for-sweet.html

Marcia in rural WNY said...

We like orange/cranberry scones which would use up some craisins. You could probably chop figs and use them in scones too. Our store bakery puts a glaze on scones, but I never do on my homemade ones. And they don't take long to make either. I actually use orange oil and zest since I have orange, lemon, and lime oils from King Arthur flour catalog--lasts forever it seems.

My DD, the chef, used to make scones as her "audition" sometimes when she was looking for a new job. You get 1-2 interviews and then an "audition" so they can taste some food you cook. I'll share the recipe if you need one.

Marcia in rural WNY said...

Popover mix would make Yorkshsire pudding with a beef roast, wouldn't it?

Shara said...

http://blog.approvedfood.co.uk/sweet-bread-ringing-the-changes/

I wonder if you could use something similar to this with your dried foods.