Tuesday, March 18, 2014

More pantry cooking and this week's fish meal

Image: http://www.google.com/imgres?biw=1517&bih=741&tbm=isch&tbnid=LmW-klPCW--Z2M%3A&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fchickenofthesea.com%2Fproducts%2Fcrab&docid=rRSmqHUStczKYM&imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fchickenofthesea.com%2Fuploads%2Fproducts%2FCrab%2FFancy-Crab.jpg&w=467&h=282&ei=xSYoU9GSNZCrkAeOnoDIAQ&zoom=1&ved=0CF0QhBwwAw&iact=rc&dur=3542&page=1&start=0&ndsp=21


Last can of crabmeat is off the shelf, to be turned into a crustless quiche, using homemade "bisquick", eggs, fzn Harvarti with dill, instant milk, lemon peel, dill weed, black pepper.  Sides: a mix of green and wax beans, leftover steamed asperagus, a tossed salad with choice of dressing. Crabmeat is written on the grocery list, but won't be replaced for some time. It is a luxury item here. 

Ended up filling my car yesterday as I was driving right by the cheap* gas station in the city. Paid $3.71/gallon, spend $24.63. Hadn't bought any gas since the end of January. Nice.

Made various omelette's this morning to use up leftover pork sausages and ham, which I diced. I used Land o Lakes deli American cheese that I bought on sale and froze. 2 ham and cheese omelettes, 1 sausage and cheese omelette. I had scrambled eggs with Rye toast. As is customary, OJ, coffee (used packets that DD brought back home with her), cocoa (we officially are out of canned milk! all 12 cans are gone. I've moved to instant milk. We continue to use up the large canister of Ovaltine for the twin's cocoa. I had bought it at the discount grocers and was able to apply a very large coupon against it: $3? or was it $4? I don't recall. We then can move on to some gifted to us cocoa mixes on hand. This has allowed me to skip purchasing cocoa packets at Aldi's. 

Kids lunches: both carried refillable containers with home brewed, unsweetened tea (this week's selection has been green-white tea), sandwiches on NY Kaiser rolls: one took the rest of the VA baked ham and Provolone, the other bologna and the last slice of Provolone. "Sliced" cheese for sandwiches is on the aforementioned grocery list, but won't be restocked until the tub of LOL American is used up. If desperate, I do have some blocks of good Cheddar that I splurged on, using my IGA gift card. and I can hand plane them, as needed. I also have PB & J to fall back on. : )

Laundry is on deck later, DD is back home from her weekend away, bringing laundry home with her. I first have a PT appointment early this morning. 

No comments: