Saturday, March 1, 2014

Campbell's style tomato based, baked beans recipe share

I recently made and froze individual, meal sized containers of traditional, New England (molasses based) baked beans. Next on my list: tomato based, baked beans a la Campbell's pork beans. I was reminded that I needed to make some, when I saw Frugal Queen's recent post for a casserole "Hot Pot" dish that uses tomato based, baked beans: http://www.frugalqueen.co.uk/2014/02/sausage-hotpot-for-67p-portion.html

Here's a recipe that I modified, and used in the past:


http://leiorchid.blogspot.com/2006/11/homemade-pork-and-beans.html



½ kilo white beans (Great northern or navy beans)-Use 2 cups of dried
1 tablespoon corn oil
3 cloves garlic, minced-today, I am substituting, dried minced garlic as I have no fresh on hand
1 medium sized onion, chopped finely
½ kilo pork belly or liempo, sliced ½” thick-I use a large piece of salt pork, I buy a large block, and cut it down, freezing it for baking beans.
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 ½ to 2 cups water*
½ cup tomato catsup
¼ cup corn oil
1 ½ teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch, dispersed in 1 tablespoon water

Procedure:

1-Soak the beans in enough water overnight. 
2-Drain and rinse. Cover with fresh water, add 1 tsp baking soda and bring to a boil. A cloud will form on the top, watch that so it doesn't spill over.
3-Drain again, rinse very well. Cover with fresh water and bring it to a boil.
4-Place beans and 2 cups of the hot water* into a Crock Pot, reserving any leftover hot water in case it's needed later
5-In a saucepan, heat oil then sauté garlic and onions.
6- Add sliced pork and cook until brown.
7-Add soy sauce and water, mix well and then add all to the beans in the Crock Pot, and cook covered until tender.
 8- Add catsup, oil, salt, and sugar. Stir carefully to prevent beans from getting mashed.
9-Thicken sauce with dispersed cornstarch. Cook 1 minute more.

Very, very good and taste just like Campbell's brand of tomato based, baked beans! I also freeze these in meal sized containers. My future assets as I like to call them.

No comments: