Wednesday, March 12, 2014

April 2014 menus

Image: http://classroomclipart.com/clipart-view/Clipart/Webwords/April_jpg.htm

April, yes, April is already on my mind. This week is mid month week, time to sort out our next month's dinner plans, continuing with the theme of use up/eat down whatever is already on hand. I'll find out on 3/24 whether or not I am still on target to return to work on 3/26. Regardless of my return to work status, we will eat frugally, with a cash outlay of $100 from my personal budget plus DD's $100 "rent," providing just $200 for the month of April towards food/groceries, all inclusive, with the singular exclusion of pet supplies/food, which I tally separately.

4/1- planned over from 3/20: l/o chicken cacciatore sauce with fzn, cubed zucchini  and cooked, dried chick peas added; served over linguini. Freshly grated Parmesan, if desired. Tossed salad with choice of dressing
4/2-l/o
4/3-vegetable stir fry with oodon noodles
4/4-l/0
4/5-chicken noodle soup
4/6-Crock Pot rotisserie style chicken, mashed potatoes, fzn l/o gravy, canned mixed vegetables
4/7-tuna casserole, fzn sauteed chard
4/8-chicken burgers (use fzn ground meat, homemade bread crumbs, grated carrot), cole slaw, steamed frozen Kale
4/9-l/o
4/10-gingered pork fried rice (use fzn pkg of 2 pork chops, box mix of ginger rice, celery, carrot, cabbage, onion, fzn Kale) Side dish: canned mandarins mixed with canned pineapple tidbits
4/11-l/o
4/12-lentil soup
4/13-Crock Pot beef pot roast (use golden mushroom soup, dried Fr onion soup mix), potatoes and carrots
4/14-salmon cakes (use canned pink, homemade bread crumbs, grated carrot) w/ home made tartar sauce, mashed potatoes, canned green beans
4/15-Crock Pot Italian meatballs (fzn homemade) in homemade marinara over spaghetti, tossed salad with choice of dressing
4/16-l/o
4/17-Frozen assets: fzn chicken-black bean-corn enchilladas, tossed salad with choice of dressing
4/18-home made cheese or veggie pizza, tossed salad with choice of dressing
4/19-beef and barley soup, crackers
4/20-Easter at Uncle's home
4/21-broiled, fzn salmon fillets; brown rice, fzn corn
4/22-birthday celebration-TBD (may take place 4/19 instead)
4/23-l/o
4/24-fzn apple chicken sausage and fzn Kale crustless quiche, steamed carrots
4/25-l/o
4/26-vegetable soup, crackers
4/27-Crock Pot roasted fzn turkey breast, stuffing mix, steamed fzn Kale, canned beets
4/28-clam fritters (use canned clams, home made "Bisquick"), home made tartar sauce, oven fries, fzn corn, cole slaw
4/29-planned overs: Crock Pot turkey stew with herbed dumplings
4/30-l/o

As of now, I only anticipate NEEDING to purchase the following: potatoes, carrots, cabbage, celery, onion, milk, butter/stick and soft margarine, 1/2 & 1/2, bread flour, seasonal sale fruit, eggs, lettuce, crackers

4 comments:

young77 said...

At the senior apt. complex where I live will be a Soup Potluck tomorrow night. Several people have signed up to bring soups, salads, etc. so I decided I would bring a dessert. Learning from you, I am using up l/o's, eating from my tiny freezer, and pantry (actually two small cupboards and one drawer). After looking at everything, I am using up my last can of pumpkin puree to make pumpkin bars. I looked online until I found one using oil - saving my butter. I have some l/o butter cream frosting in the freezerso will use that. THANKS SO MUCH! P.S. naps are good while you are healing.

CTMOM said...

Young
Yummy pumpkin bars! I am certain that those will go in a flash. Good to start with what is on hand, this can really save your cash flow. Cooking oil can also be pricey. Another trick is to use fruit puree for part or all of the oil called for in baking. Many do that so as to reduce fat, but it is also a great budget tip. While applesauce is the fruit often turned to, pureed prunes are popular as well. I have also experimented with pureed bananas with great success!
Enjoy your pot luck! Those can be such fun! : )

young77 said...

Thanks for the reminder about using fruit puree, applesauce etc instead of oil. I had just bought the veg. oil and I make my own applesauce. I will put jarred applesauce on my next month's grocery list as I don't want to use the apples I have on hand left.

CTMOM said...

Young
Keep an eye out on the marked down cart of the produce section at the market. A bruise here and there, but still perfectly fine to cook down and make your own apple sauce. I wash the fruit, cut into 1/4ths and plop the entire apple, peels, seeds and all into an awaiting Dutch oven that has a tad of water in it. Once cooked down a bit, I use a potato masher, finally in the end running the whole mess thru a food mill. Freezes wonderfully as well, although I usually home can mine, some is in the freezer as well. I always add cinnamon and sometimes a bit of sugar. If intended soley as an oil replacement I'd leave it just plain fruit