Monday, March 10, 2014

An unexpected gift

It's customary whenever someone has an illness, death, new home, new baby etc for the members of my dept to take up a collection and somehow recognize the life event: a fruit basket, flowers, plants, gift card, baby clothes etc-whatever is fitting the particular occasion. I thought it odd that I didn't receive anything, although my surgery was almost 6 weeks ago to the day. There had been a lot of disruption with the end of the semester, multiple snow days/late arrivals/early dismissals, a week of break, now state testing.

In today's mail, I received a card signed by everyone and enclosed was a $100 GC to an expensive IGA here in town. Very thoughtful, and appreciated. I'll be sending a thank you email shortly.

Knowing that my $ won't go as far at this particular store, which is somewhat upscale, what would you buy? I've scanned the sale flyer and wrote down some options.

Thoughts?

9 comments:

Shara said...

I think I'd buy either staples because of their versatility or perhaps something like cheese, bacon, etc. that can be used sparingly to liven up dishes. Perhaps you could use it to fill in any blanks in what you currently have that would stretch your current supplies.

That is a great gift, by the way!

CTMOM said...

Shara, it is a true blessing.

Theresa F said...

What a thoughtful gift.

CTMOM said...

Theresa,
Perfect timing!

Bobbe said...

How nice, It sounds like they know you well.

Mary Lou said...

Great gift. I know you probably need some staples, but how about a special dinner for you and the kids or maybe just you and the older kids since I know you mentioned one of the younger boys is "Mr. Picky".

Just a thought since maybe the older kids pitched in quite a bit with extra help after your surgery.

Marcia in rural WNY said...

I would be reading their ads every week, scouring the store for unadvertised specials, mark downs, and buying essentials or items that aren't more expensive than I could get them elsewhere, especially produce, milk, and whatever else would be most useful to you in the next couple weeks. There must be some items that aren't any more costly there than at other places.

NAN said...

How nice! I just can't buy things that aren't on sale any more so I would do like you and scan their ad! It might take me a few weeks to use that $100.

Lili said...

What a wonderful surprise!

I don't know about your IGA, but in our area, the more upscale stores seem to have the better loss leaders and markdowns. For me, I would just watch the ads, and find loss leaders to stock up on.

Otherwise, you've been depleting your pantry baking supplies. So you may want to use that to restock later this spring.