Sunday, February 9, 2014

Planning ahead: March menus

Planning ahead, as this week is mid month already, and more than ever, I need to do this, especially as concerns variable expenses, such as groceries. I am keeping with my usual "themes" to menu planning: big meat dinner on Sun, fish usually on Mon (will be moved due to St Pat's), vegetarian entrees on Thurs, easy aka usually Crock Pot meals on Tues, leftovers on Wed and Fri-nights that the youngest are with Dad for supper. Sat remains soup night.  Here's the plan:

1-clam chowder using canned clams, oyster crackers
2-Crock Pot beef stew-use fzn meat, potatoes, carrot, onion, celery, parsnips
3-horseradish encrusted Pollock (use fzn fillets), brown rice, fzn zuke/Summer squash medley
4-ham slices (frozen),canned pineapple, scalloped potatoes (box mix), canned beets
5-l/o
6-black bean burgers(used canned), steamed fzn kale, steamed carrots
7-l/o
8-mixed dried bean soup, use fzn meaty ham bone
9-broiled, marinated pork tenderloins (fzn), roast potatoes, canned green beans
10-salmon patties (use canned), coleslaw, honey carrots
11-Crock pot beef pot roast with potato, carrots
12-l/o
13-Lidia's warm lentil salad (new recipe for me)*add diced, leftover pork if available, green salad
14-l/o
15-beef-barley soup
16-corned beef (fzn), cabbage, potatoes, carrots; Irish soda bread
17-corned beef hash, home made "Campbell's style" pork beans
18-crabmeat crustless quiche (use canned crab), salad, canned green and waxed beans
19-l/o
20-pinto bean tacos on flour tortillas, canned corn
21-cheese and/or vegetarian pizza
22-curried carrot soup, biscuits
23-Crock Pot roasted turkey breast, boxed stuffing, gravy, canned corn, homemade cranberry sauce
24-baked Pollock (fzn), basmati rice, fzn broccoli florettes
25-turkey tettrazini, green salad
26-l/o
27-arroz con PAVO (use turkey in lieu of chicken)
28-l/o
29-turkey noodle soup, crackers
30-Crock Pot chicken cacciartore (use fzn ck thighs, fzn pepper strips) over brown rice; green salad
31-creamed salmon (use canned) over boiled potatoes, fzn peas

Besides the usual perishables (milk, 1/2 and 1/2, butter, fresh seasonal fruit, salad fixings), I anticipate needing to replenish the following: potatoes, carrots, onions, cabbage, celery, flour tortillas, frozen peas. This should be a cheap grocery month, and we'll be getting increasingly "creative" with snacks, desserts, as well as dinner menus, continuing even  once I return to work, and plan for April's meals.


6 comments:

j said...

I am going to sit down to do our March food menu today. I admit to being the only Irish lass alive who hates ham and cabbage..can't even cook it without gagging. So that falls to mom why I hide.

Thank God for stockpiles I say!

Belinda said...

Sounds delicious as usual, Carol. :)

This past week has been a lean grocery week for us due to additional expenses in January and higher than usual heating bills due to the cold weather.

But we are making due with what we have and being creative. It's amazing what you can come up when you put your mind to it.

I hope you are feeling good today and still on the mend. :)

CTMOM said...

Judy
I only cook corned beef once a year, much preferring the leftover hash to the beef w/ vegetables.

CTMOM said...

Belinda
yes, it's gonna get interesting. While I will get paid for Feb, March-yikes! is a different story. Pinching back NOW to ease the situation. Just discovered that I need to add fzn white fish to my list, having taken the last of it out of the freezer, in order to defrost for tomorrow night. Still, a sensible list so far.
I see improvements every day, but know not to push myself.

CTMOM said...

Belinda
update: I FOUND my second package of 2 lbs frozen Pollock. Somehow it was placed on the shelf where pork is stored, instead of the fish shelf. Still, I picked up an extra 1 lb pkg of Flounder today; good to keep a simple supply of fish fillets on hand, especially with Lent coming.

CTMOM said...

Belinda
update: I FOUND my second package of 2 lbs frozen Pollock. Somehow it was placed on the shelf where pork is stored, instead of the fish shelf. Still, I picked up an extra 1 lb pkg of Flounder today; good to keep a simple supply of fish fillets on hand, especially with Lent coming.