Sunday, February 2, 2014

Fiscal fast in February: trying again

We've been members of local, organic CSA programs for over 3 years-loved our initial one, grew to be very disappointed in last year's replacement. I've explored alternatives, as once again our original CSA is on hiatus. I've joined a local, organic CSA that includes fruit, pasture fed meat, home canned preserves/pickles. We did an extended share, adding a Spring and a Fall season. Ends up being $87.50/month out of my food budget, still leaving plenty for other grocery purchases for the month.

5 comments:

M Ripples said...

I wish I could find something like that. I look every year. Found 1 close by last year but it was all veggies and I'm the only veggie lover in the house.

Frugal in Derbyshire said...

looks like an interesting and useful box.
It must be quite an exciting challenge, deciding what to do with what is delivered
Gill

CTMOM said...

The image was from google. Here is a list of what they grow:
Blueberries
Strawberries
Raspberries
Cantaloupe
Watermelon
Peaches
Apples
Concord Grapes
Quinces

Peas, Snap Beans, Dry Beans
Lettuce, Arugula, Spinach and other salad greens
Tomatoes, Eggplants, Peppers, Tomatillos
Leeks, Onions, Scallions
Garlic and Shallots
Summer Squash and Zucchini
Winter Squash
Cucumbers
Watermelons
Carrots, Radishes, Beets, Turnips
Kale, Collards, and Swiss Chard
Broccoli, Cauliflower, Cabbage
Basil, Cilantro, Parsley, Mint
Pumpkin
Potatoes

The added on Spring and Fall shares will include root cellar and green house produce, their preserved foods aka canned, as well as meats.

Always a challenge to use and preserve my weekly shares

Bargain Mom said...

I wish I could find one close to me - but my town has a good farmers market so when I combine that with my own garden this year we should be in good shape. I have to remember to plant lots more yellow squash - we really liked those and I've used up all mine from the freezer already

CTMOM said...

Bargain
Here's a link to all CSAs in CT:

http://www.ctnofa.org/CSAs.htm

HTH