Monday, January 13, 2014

Fiscal fast day 13: using what is on hand, freebies are great, planning ahead

 This was supposed to be yesterday's supper, but I made too many meat stuffed shells, so that is what we had. Was glad to stuff 2 more trays of food into my freezer. Tonight, we're using this box of sale plus cpn acquired Bell's stuffing, and some defrosted pork chops (originally marked down) to make pork chop stuffing bake, Here's the recipe:  http://ctonabudget.blogspot.com/2011/01/baked-pork-chops-with-dressing-recipe.html



 adding some old apples, chopped up, to the stuffing topping.

 
 Tonight's sides: canned corn, roast butternut squash. House smells awesome!


DS's plate

 Since the oven was on, I also mixed and am baking off, my last boxed brownie mix. Anyone have a TNT recipe that uses cocoa powder?
Clearing out my room/desk etc as the semester is ending, I came across this bottle of Trader Joe's apple juice, leftover (not opened) from a club meeting last year. It'll be enjoyed here now. I also have some small food items (open peanut butter, crackers, tea bags) to return home. Once I return to work, I'll bring in replacements.

Once supper was cleared away, my lunch container prepared for tomorrow, I started on tomorrow's supper, as we will return just prior to needing to bake off the casserole. On deck: pate chinois:

 I am using my thrift shop, Corning Ware casserole as it will fit perfectly inside the table top, convection oven. Here is the beef and onion layer. I noted that I've made a significant dent in the stockpile of 8 oz bags of grnd beef. I've made so many dishes ahead, no concern.
 Next, the potato layer. I mixed up a batch of instant, adding a just defrtosted tub of homemade mashed potatoes-another lurker in the kitchen fridge, taking up valuable real estate.
 Topped with 2 cans of cream corn, dotted with butter.
Now awaiting my return tomorrow afternoon. Nice.

Laundry is going, to be air dried next to the radiator.

8 comments:

Linda www.PictureTrail.com/sewhappy said...

Could you please explain how you make the pork chop stuffing bake? Sounds like something DH and I would like. As you are doing, I am using what I have. Tonight we are having ham, cheesy scalloped potatoes (Betty Crocker brand, bought for 1.00 a box) and frozen mixed veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots) bought on sale. Half of the veggies will be served with leftover stuffed shells tomorrow evening.
I sew American Girl doll clothes to supplement our retirement income and today I was able to cut 2 pairs of pjs from scraps a friend gave me, the leftovers from a pair of lounging flannel pants she made for her daughter.
I enjoy your blog and read it faithfully and am sending my most sincere wishes for your surgery to go smoothly and the recovery to be easier than the previous surgery on the other shoulder. You inspire me!

CTMOM said...

Thanks for the positive wishes, Linda. I've added a link to my pork chop stuffing bake recipe. Definitely appropriate for company, IMO, and quite easy to do.

Marcia in rural WNY said...

Miracle Brownies (my Mom's recipe)
no idea where she got it

3/4 cup flour
1 cup sugar
7 tbsp baking cocoa
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup oil (originally Crisco)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp corn syrup (Karo)
1 cup walnuts

Sift first 5 ingredients into bowl. Add oil, eggs, vanilla and corn syrup. Beat 2 min., Stir in nuts, reserving a few for the top.
Spread in greased 8 x 8 (or 11 x 7) inch pan. Sprinkle remaining nuts over top. Bake at 350 degrees about 35-40 minutes.

Sometimes I put in about 1/3 package chocolate chips and cut down or eliminate nuts. (Mom no longer eats nuts.)

This is a fairly small recipe--you might want to double it for your crew if they are all at home. I've tried other brownies and I keep coming back to this recipe. Fast and easy and good.

CTMOM said...

Thanks, Marcia. Worth giving them a try! : )

j said...

I know I feel so much better when the freezer is fully stocked. I am glad you are getting this all done before your surgery.

By the way did the handyman ever come over to fix the tile in your house?

CTMOM said...

Judy
Yes, a stocked freezer is a comfort when facing surgery. I did the same when I was expecting. Floor tile? after not hearing anything from anyone, I e-mailed the LL, asking if she ever connected with her handyman (who has been working on/off next door). She did, but he had surgery of some sort on Fri, will be laid up until mid this week. I thanked her for letting me know. @@ One thing I can fault her on is her lack of communication at times, such as this one. What would it have hurt her to contact me and tell me (email is fine) that there would be a delay? I'm flexible, but heck, I shouldn't have to reach out to her again about such things, just keep me in the loop. If it is a case where the HM didn't tell her, and then she contacted him again about it, then he is who I fault for not letting me know. Common courtesy in my book. Shrug.

Nancy said...

I love the brownie recipe in The Joy of Cooking subbing cocoa powder and additional butter for the baking chocolate it calls for. Heavenly.

CTMOM said...

Nancy, can you post that? I don't own that cookbook.