Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Window energy conservation update


This is an update on my recent posting regarding using masking tape to help seal drafts from ill fitting windows:

http://ctonabudget.blogspot.com/2013/12/taking-tip-from-frugal-queen.html

As a reader suggested, masking tape may not be recommended for long term applications. I researched various types of tape, and yes, up to 3 weeks is the maximum for a particular type of tape. So, my using masking tape is a no go. Froogs (see link above) isn't concerned about the possibility of peeling off any paint, as she intends to replace her drafty windows. My aim is to conserve energy, make this rental more comfortable, BUT not damage anything that may later incurr a charge against my lease deposit.

I came across this alternative at WM today, where I went also to purchase a new snow brush as mine broke:

@ $2.47/35 foot length roll, this seems to be a decent alternative, on a budget. I bought 2 rolls as I have the 3 windows of the boy's room, one window in my room, and 2 of the 5 windows in the main bathroom, that I plan to seal up with this stuff.

 Here's a close up of the caulk sealing the 2 windows together, around the metal latch.
Look up to the left and you can see the caulk now sealing the metal opening from which a window rope used to hang out of.

My snow brush was $4.97 plus tax, $1 more than the others offered. The one I selected has a fat, spongy covering which would help me with my OT issues, so I splurged. : )

5 comments:

j said...

Let me know how that works, I was actually looking at it in lowes last week. I am thinking for around my door since there are some open spots

Frugal Queen said...

great news, it makes a big difference by eliminating the draughts xx

CTMOM said...

Judy, easy to use, kind of reminded me of modeling clay. Just unroll as you go, and cut with a butter knife. DON'T pull too hard or it'll stretch and become too thin, as i learned. I have wide windows here. the 2 rolls covered the tops and bottoms of 3 windows in the boys's room as well as plugged up the holes where the rope mechanism is on one of the windows. I ended up returning to Wm (I forgot to look for photo frames, which I bought on the second go round)for more packages. Easy to use, I recommend it so far.

CTMOM said...

Froogs
We are awaiting the arrival of one of our Nor'easters-blizzard with 12 inches snow, blowing drifts and worse: -7 degrees come Saturday. Brr! Conservation measures taken just in time! Am considering those hair dryer tightened window clings as well now.

CTMOM said...

Froogs
We are awaiting the arrival of one of our Nor'easters-blizzard with 12 inches snow, blowing drifts and worse: -7 degrees come Saturday. Brr! Conservation measures taken just in time! Am considering those hair dryer tightened window clings as well now.