Wednesday, December 25, 2013

We had a Merry little Christmas Eve

 Staying within my allocated budget is essential to me, in order to meet my financial goals, that said, Christmas is planned for, monies set aside monthly to cover anticipated costs. I include the costs of a live tree, gifts for the children and my mother, specialty foods such as shrimp, ham. No need to include any additional costs for decorations otherwise or for wrapping supplies as we reuse decorations/refurbish as needed and I have a stockpile of wrapping supplies. This year, I made a concerted effort to de-stress the season as well. I completed my shopping well before Thanksgiving, allowing me the freedom to stay away from the frenzy, and simply enjoy the season. Yesterday afternoon found me gift wrapping, and I was amazed at just how much was under the tree when I was finished. Shopping on a budget, home crafting etc but we still ended up with largess under the tree. Happily, it was a practical Christmas this year, with a few wants, treats thrown in for good measure.
As is our tradition, we celebrate Christmas Eve, and I set up a simple buffet in the kitchen. Homemade tourtiere, cornichons, shrimp cocktail, steamed carrots with peas, and a homemade run cake with walnuts, choice of assorted beverages including soda, tea, coffee, wine and beer. I was also going to include a green salad, but we opted out.  It was a simple meal, well enjoyed. What was most important, was our time spent together.

Have a Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

Belinda said...

Looks like a delicious buffet, Carol. I'm glad you had a Merry Christmas Eve and hope you have a prosperous and blessed New Year in 2014. :)