Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Tuesday's supper: beef stew

 A lb pkg of stew beef that I got on marked down back in August @ $3.16/lb sure beats the $4.99 normally charged. I aim to keep my price per lb for meat @ $4, fish @ $6. Beef is and has been more and more of a "treat" due to cost.
Even when served, it's bulked out, as it will be tonight, in a classic, beef stew. The ends of celery (saved as a tip from Frugal Queen. When I buy celery, I immediately lop off the bottom end. The remaining sprigs fit quite nicely now in my veggie drawer. I reserve this fibrous end for soups and stews.). The rest of a bag of carrots, some older potatoes, the rest of my fresh mushrooms will all join in the stew tonight.


Spices/seasonings used: beef stock cubes in lieu of salt, Bay leaf, black pepper, gravy master for coloring the gravy at the end, Worcestershire sauce

Snowy day, perfect meal, which should provide leftovers for tomorrow when it's just DD and myself for supper, unless college boy stops in for a meal.

2 comments:

Theresa said...

Sounds so yummy!!

j said...

Sounds great. It makes me so happy when I can make dinner out of something I picked on "markdown" and making a great dinner :)

Love the celery idea