Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Taking stock of household goods, aka taxable groceries

With an impending unpaid leave of absence, and the end of the year looming, taking stock of what we already have, and projecting anticipated needs is more important that ever. I plan on acquiring what I think we'll need in Feb and March, within the next month, prior to my scheduled leave. I find that we are in pretty good shape as far as taxables go:

 this is my laundry room storage cabinet. Plenty of liquid and dry sheet fabric softener, stain remover, oxi type cleaner, laundry detergent
 these giant bottles won't fit in my cabinet, so even more detergent on hand. I may* need hydrogen peroxide and bleach, that's it.
 Under the kitchen sink: the pink wash tubs corral my trash bags, and I will be needing some of those soon. General cleaning items are found here, as well as multiple types of dishwasher detergent
 and liquid dish soap. to the right is what remains of my fancy, towel rags with actual dish cloths pulled out of storage for use. Nylon scrubbies are on top as well. No needs in this department.
 Under the main bathroom sink: general cleaning items. Only possible need would be more of WM's "tilex" to keep ceiling mold at bay.
 Under the powder room sink: additional cleaners, stockpiled. No needs anticipated here. Eventually, I'd like to move to just one area for cleaning supplies, and reduce this to some sort of bucket that would be taken from room to room.
 Hall storage closet: multiple aluminum pans for freezer meals, one roll of paper towels (I only use about 2/year, and have an almost full one in the kitchen), cfl's, ammonia-again no needs anticipated. Plenty of vacuum bags, night light bulbs on hand as well.

Assorted plastic baggies, wraps, foil etc. No needs anticipated.

So little is needed in this department. While I have my home deep cleaned by a service once a month, we do regular, weekly cleaning as well.

1 comment:

Marcia in rural WNY said...

I do a fair number of surveys online (although fewer than I used to) and sometimes companies will send product to try out and report on. I regularly use my electric dryer and was sent a package of 250 sheets of dryer sheets. I think the requirements were only that I use them for two weeks and then fill out the questionnaire and put the answers online. While I don't understand their reasoning, the 250 sheets have literally lasted me several months and the box is still 1/4 full. This is not a reliable method of saving, but it is appreciated when it happens. I actually enjoy trying new products, especially free ones, but sometimes the plain surveys get a bit tedious. Some companies give you points which you can save up and exchange for gift cards--I prefer Amazon cards, but Macy's and some others are useful too. You won't get rich but I do have extra time during the winter, since I'm retired, ant it keeps me from cabin fever.