Sunday, December 29, 2013

Sunday supper:Crustless spinach, mushroom, bacon, onion, Cheddar quiche



We continue with the fridge cleanout, well into today. The original plan was for a crustless quiche, I am just tweaking what I am putting into it. Marked down, organic spinach replaces the fzn kale, leftover, cooked bacon replaces the apple chicken sausage (frozen also), and I'm adding some of the mushrooms I got on marked down yesterday.




 Cheese will be the NY aged Cheddar that I salvaged and preshred for this week.



Batter is quickly made


Then poured over the veggies and cheese before baking for 35 minutes @ 400 degrees.

Only one piece left after supper, one kidlet had it for bfst the next day.


 Tossed salad, using up the rest of the leftover, black olives,





served with choice of dressing to round out the meal.4 homemade versions to select from as well as a gifted vinaigrette and a fast food ranch pouch.

5 comments:

The domestic Groove said...

You are such an inspiration to me. I have been following your blog for quite sometime and I am amazed that you never run out of frugal ideas!

CTMOM said...

Thanks, Domestic Groove. I've fully enlisted into ubber frugal bootcamp as I have an impending unpaid medical leave that will certainly impact my finances. I'm actively getting all of my ducks in a row, so to speak, and hope to remain very cautious with expenditures until next Fall. I will continue to get paid for Jan and Feb. Although it's anticipated that I will return to work at the end of March, I won't receive any income for that month, and it's costly. Pay will resume in April thru June, if all goes as planned. I then have July and Aug to get through, again with no pay, but that is something that I am used to. Aug is always my worst month. We'll be ok, and I am blessed to have savings to fall back onto, if desperate, but I hope not to have to.

Kelly Campbell said...

Do you have a recipe, Carol? One of the grocery stores I shop at now and then has their quiche marked half-off and I love the taste of the filling (it's a bacon-mushroom-spinach one) but the crust is yucky, LOL. That may be because the quiche itself is a few days old, hence the markdown. So, if I could make my own without a crust, I'd be in heaven. Thanks.

CTMOM said...

Kelly
I suspect that the crust is mushy as it probably wasn't parbaked first. When I do make a crusted quiche, I use a fork and poke teeny holes into the bottom of the crust, then brush the bottom with good Dijon, and bake 10-15 minutes (don't have recipe w/ me), fill the crust w/ veg, cheese, pour custard over top, then bake off. The crustless quiche recipe I use is a version of Bisquick impossible pies. Easy, affordable (I make my own Bisquick for less)and freeze well. I also make mini ones sometimes (esp for parties), using muffin pans (Pam spray first) and just bake them for less time. Great way to use up leftovers, bits of this n that.

CTMOM said...

Kelly-here's a link to recipe goldmine for all of the Bisuick impossible pie recipes out there:

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/pieimp/pieimp.html

BTW-feel free to substitute veg/cheese and other ingredients. These recipes tend to be very adaptable.

HTH