Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Breaking it all down

 Here's a 10 lb ham that I baked off tonight. I only paid 99 cents/lb. While I had intended to use the shank ham I have in the freezer, this loss leader decided otherwise. I'll save the other ham for another time.
 This was my Christmas dinner. Baked ham with mustard-brown sugar glaze, pineapple, mashed potatoes, brussels sprouts, organic CSA butter and sugar corn that I froze this Summer during the corn glut. The ham was so good, I even had a bit extra. Once supper was over, I cleared my dishes and then set to work to break down this ham.
 I first made 2 baggies with meals for 4-5 of sliced meat. 2 meals
 Next, I cubed some of the meat, placing it into 2 baggies. One is earmarked for mac and cheese with ham next week, the other for bfst omelettes tomorrow morning. 2 meals
 I removed MOST of the meat from the bone, not getting too picky as I did want to leave a bit of meat on the bone. The scraps I cut off are above. Note that the fat is included with these scraps. More on that later.
 Here's the meaty ham bone. I will most likely freeze this for a pot of beans. 2 meals worth.
 The scraps were ground up in the food processor; beyond removing the whole cloves, everything was ground together. The extra fat was included as this is intended to make meatballs for tomorrow's supper. 1/2 will be used for deviled ham sandwiches for a lunch. 2 meals
 Here is the stock from the roaster. Can't throw that out! I will refrigerate it, remove the hardened fat layer and reserve that for frying eggs. The stock below that is intended for this Saturday's split pea soup. 2 meals worth.
Not including my supper and any future leftovers, the above broken down ham equals 10 meals for 4 people. Pretty economical in my book.

4 comments:

ND Chic said...

I find that ham is very economical as the leftovers are always stretched. Plus I like ham leftovers better than beef roast. Merry Christmas!

Belinda said...

Very economical in my book too, Carol. It looks delicious too! Nice example of s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g your dollars. Keep up the good work. :)

Bargain Mom said...

I usually never pick the ham bone clean - makes better soup when it has some bits on it.

We also grind up bits but I make a casserole with it. Layer cooked rice, Ham and cheese a couple of times...top layer must be cheese. Then pour milk blended with a small onion on it to keep it moist and bake. Easy cheap and filling :-)

CTMOM said...

Bargain, that sound so good! I'd choose sliced scallions, if available, for additional color.