Wednesday, December 25, 2013

A simple quasi Christmas dinner

Pictured is the 99/lb butt portion ham that I got at Shoprite yesterday-too good of a deal not to take advantage of it. It is now studded with cloves and baking off. In a while, I will attach sliced pineapple to it, and brush on a glaze of pineapple juice, brown sugar and spicy brown mustard. Sides will be mashed potatoes, brussel sprouts, corn (that is what is in the bag to the right). Easy-peasy. Our holiday celebration really was last night, the twins are with Dad until tomorrow bfst, older 2 kidlets may/not come home for supper. Regardless, I'll have a nice dinner and plenty of ham to put in the freezer for upcoming months when I am recuperating.

Christmas last night was nice, honestly, all I wanted for this year was to have all of the kids with me, which I was blessed with. Even got some nice gifts this year, in addition to several gifts from students  http://ctonabudget.blogspot.com/2013/12/a-day-of-freebies-and-gifts.html (which is rare with older kids):

A pump bottle of a paraffin based hand cream, 3 bottles of BBW pump soap with moisturizing shea butter, a bag with assorted foodie items in it: gingerbread/cookie mix, peppermint crushed up sprinkles, a box of spice tea, a tin of cocoa mix; a new pair of driving gloves, a $50 check, which I will apply towards my Weather Tech mats for my car.

8 comments:

DW said...

Glad you had a good Christmas Eve! (We had ham, too!)

CTMOM said...

DW, YEARS ago, I used to do a fillet of beef. that got to be too expensive, so I automatically turned to a ham, as growing up, we had Christmas day dinner at my maternal grandmother's home, where she always served ham and roast beef. Ham it is! @ 99 cents/lb and think of the leftovers . . can't be beat!

missy said...

Merry Christmas CTMOM. We have always done a baked Chicken seeing that the kids didn't eat red meat or pork. Nice gifts form the students.:)

Belinda said...

Your Christmas dinner sounds delicious, Carol.
My aunt used to make ham the same way you described and I remember how delicious it always was. :)

And what nice gifts you received. I also rcvd a bottle of BBW lotion, which smells so good! It is the Sea Island Cotton scent. One of the teachers I sub for has some of the hand gel in that scent on her desk and I had mentioned how much I liked it and so getting that was a pleasant surprise. Someone was definitely listening to me. I'm glad you received some lovely gifts this year. :)

CTMOM said...

Missy
The gifts in this photo/blog post are from my family. While I did get some nice gifts from students, they are posted on a separate post: chocolate, GC to Starbucks, chocolate dessert plate. Very nice.

CTMOM said...

Belinda
I expected nothing, so was pleasantly surprised. : ) Yes, the cotton scent is very nice. I like it, too.

Carrie A. said...

I love the parafin hand lotion. I use it at night so it has time to soak in. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Nancy said...

It must be the year of the BBW hand soap, I also received three bottles from college age daughter! AND I got two Christmas themed hand soap dispensers from students that I will save for next year.