Blog on saving money and living on a budget in CT.
Friday, November 8, 2013
Tweaking my efforts some more
This is the light green, flannel doorway curtain that I made to place in front of the shutter doors that close between the uninsulated LR and the front entry hall. While it has helped a bit, I knew that it needed something to insulate behind it. Before hitting the stores (thrifts that is), I have posted on Freecycle, no luck, so I checked my fabric stash to see if there is anything on hand I can use. I lucked out!
Here is what you face when you open the shuttered doors. Beautiful, heavy, Irish wool that I picked up for next to nothing at a thrift and stashed it. Not wanting to cut it, I just slipped it under the clamps that hold the green curtain up, and used safety pins to keep the fabric off the floor, and to create a doubled over edge (I had felt that it should have been made a tad wider) for opening/closing.
2 1/2 yard of 56" fabric from Ireland. Someday, perhaps I'll make a jacket, skirt or just a blanket out of it. Beautiful fabric. So for now, it's keeping that doorway nice and toasty.