Sunday, November 3, 2013

Produce is impacted by shut down farms

 Besides some onions, white and sweet potatoes,and a basket full of assorted Winter squash (carvival, Butternut, acorn) this is what I have. Pictured above are some organic Romaine hearts that I washed for this week.
 Left produce bin: 2 parsnips, about 2 1/2 lbs carrots, celery, part of a red onion, one lemon
Right side produce bin: 1 1/2 heads green cabbage, 1 1/2 heads purple cabbage.

For fresh fruit, we have a ton of apples, some bananas, grapes. This happens every year at this time, as we eat seasonally and locally whenever possible. Not wanting to spend much more this month (and it's only the 3rd!), we'll move to stored goods.

So, moving forward this month, I'll be getting creative as far as any salads go, and will turn to my frozen, and dried varieties of fruits/vegetables as well as my stored, cupboard goods:

tomatoes in the kitchen cupboard

assorted vegetables: green beans, waxed, corn, creamed corn, spinach, mixed veg, beets, baked beans

Pantry closet goods: roasted peppers, assorted canned beans, canned pineapple
fuzzy image but more pantry goods: assorted canned beans, canned potatoes, green beans

Case of tomato puree


Many, many pints of organic, CSA local tomatoes. I ended up with approx 60 pints, a year's worth I expect.

2 comments:

Marcia in rural WNY said...

60 pints is a lot of tomatoes! I was given way too many Concord grapes. Had mentioned to a friend that I had a taste for a grape pie, and a bought one turned out to be awful. Forgot he grew Concords so said I'd make him a pie in exchange for grapes for two pies. Which I did. Then, with the LEFTOVER grapes, I made two batches of grape jelly and had about a cup of juice left to share with DH. Not bad for the cost of one pie to give away! Used to do swaps more often but my girlfriend with the largest garden unfortunately passed away last year. I've thought of her so often since then. She was only 62.

CTMOM said...

Yum, home made Concord grape pie! I've only made 2 in my life,just a few years ago, and boy, were they GOOD! Sorry to hear about your friend, 62 is far too young.: (