Sunday, November 3, 2013

How I ended up solving the problem

 Here's the draft dodger I fashioned last night, using my old, fleece jacket and old fabric and batting scraps, old clothes (socks and undies in this case). The issue was how to keep this up against the door both when someone is home (let's face it, while I and most likely DD would place the draft dodger in place once we entered the home, the boys-forget about it) but more importantly, when we aren't and the heat is turned down to 60 degrees F. I decided to turn to my tried and true method of using clear push pins that I hammer tightly into place, after piercing the pin section through some fabric.
 Here's a close up shot
 To the right of the door, the draft dodger is pinned to the door frame, nice and tight.
The left side is not, as I have to allow for the door to open. I also have the dodger well enough away from the radiator, to prevent any fire from happening. I am already noticing a difference on a cold, windy day. So another almost no cost (I did pay under 1 penny per push pin and used 10 so a 10 cent project that should save me significantly more in reduced oil bills). This door is located in the front hallway where the programmable thermostat for the center of the home (kitchen/living room) is located.

7 comments:

Bargain Mom said...

Good idea with the pushpins. I made some draft dodgers for my youngest kid's bedroom windows - totally filled with rags (mostly out grown socks or with dead elastic I save to dust with). Got the idea here!

Also mentioned your blog in mine - hope you didn't mind. Still learning the ins & outs of this format stuff.

8d15fda8-6e37-11e2-bef7-000bcdcb2996 said...

aren't all these tacks putting wholes in the woodwork?

j said...

What a great idea! I am going to try this for my basement door

j said...

What a great idea! I am going to try this for my basement door

CTMOM said...

8d15
If you look closely, the pushpins are located just above the metal edge of the installed door sweep, that doesn't do the job. BY law, as a tenant, I am allowed to perform energy saving weatherization at my discretion, just so long as I remove it when I vacate. Additionally, the tacks used are being placed in such areas so as not to damage the woodwork, typically in the joint or "seam" of where the wooden trimwork meets the wall. tenants before me left tons of NAILS, not picture hooks, throughout the home's walls. I continue to pull them out as I encounter yet more.

CTMOM said...

Bargain
No problem, sharing is a good thing. : )

Frugalmummy said...

Great idea! Keep them coming!