Monday, October 7, 2013

Renter's insurance issue

As required, I carry renter's insurance, something I would have even if it wasn't a condition of my lease. Fine. Recently, I moved to a different company, through my Union, at a significant cost savings.Great. A few weeks later, I was contacted by a third party, who was asking to set up an appointment to come and inspect the rental home, take pictures. I explained that this is a rental, but he had his instructions. Fine. He came, took pictures, asked a few questions.

Fast forward and I received a letter from my new, rental insurance company, advising me that there are identified items the require (my) attention.
-tree branches overhanging the roof of the dwelling (perhaps a bit in the front)
-a missing breaker in the electrical panel (have no idea what they would look like)

"we are concerned about the increased likelihood of losses this indicates. We would appreciate if if you would make a personal inspection of your property and take appropriate measures to prevent future losses. Please advise us of your progress so we may update our records."

OK, my understanding of renter's insurance is that it covers the contents  of the home, AKA my wordly possessions, which do not include any antiques. I had renter's insurance for almost 3 years back in the late 1980's. No home inspection. No reports. My former renter's insurance policy on this rental didn't inspect, didn't have a report. Simply took the $ and that was it.

I guess I can forward a copy to the landlord, see what she does, if anything. I am not about to pay for an arborist or an electrician on a rental home. WWYD?

11 comments:

lisa said...

WOW...;. we had renters insurance for years and no one came and inspected either...took the money and that was it... I would say they can take mental notes and you tell the landlord the renters insurance inspected and give a copy to the landlord...if things were to happen and the land lord didn't do anything then your renters insurance can go after the landlords insurance...you should not have to pay for those things...at least that is what I think.....Lisa

Kelly Campbell said...

I would contact the insurance company and reiterate the fact that I am ONLY a renter. Therefore, while worrisome, any issues with the dwelling are the landlords responsibility. Let them know that you will inform the landlord of said issues but ultimately you presume it will have no bearing on your coverage.

Mary Lou said...

I agree I don't those are things that are the renter's responsibility. As you stated, they are only insuring your contents not the building they are housed in. I would forward it to the landlord and leave it at that. Perhaps, I would send it certified mail that way if any issues arose you would have proof of delivery.

Marcia in rural WNY said...

I agree that those are the landlord's responsibility. I don't see how a missing circuit breaker is an issue--it simply doesn't work so how can it cause any problems?
I have had homeowner's insurance for 34 years on this house, probably 20 of which there was an upstairs porch (4ft square if that) with no railing. About 2 years ago when we renewed, we got a letter saying it was a hazard. DH bought railing, put it up, sent them a photo and they were satisfied. Based on that, I would say they inspect a certain small percentage. I think I would send a letter and a copy of their letter to your landlord, and a copy of that letter to the insurance company. That way everybody is notified. But I wouldn't do anything else, such as paying to fix it, unless they give more trouble.

Carol Lane said...

This sounds strange to me. I think I would have called the insurance company prior to agreeing to let this third party into the home for verification. I would advise the landlord but if she doesn't make changes, it's not your responsiblity.

Carol Lane said...

This sounds a little strange, Carol. I think I would have contacted the insurance company about the inspection prior to allowing a third party into inspect. You are not responsible for the additional work. I would pass the information on to the landlord as a precaution. I think I would still call the insurance company about it.

young77 said...

I have renters insurance and it is only on the contents of my rental. I think you're right to give a copy to your landlady.

Shanna said...

I'm confused b/c what does those things have to do with renters insurance??? Renters insurance (to my understanding) is for your personal belongings, not the dwelling. At least here in Indiana that's how it is & I know b/c I've had renters ins & never ran into that b4. I would be questioning them on this asap. Your landlord should carry her own insurance for that property. Maybe showing them her insurance ( that is if she would give you a copy or maybe fax it to your isurance company) would pacify them. Good luck b/c it sounds like you might need it. Makes you just want to scream out some tension huh?? lol

Theresa F said...

That is ridiculous. Our insurance company does not do inspections and we own the home(well the bank does :)

They must be losing money to claims.

Precious said...

I never heard of such a thing but insurance companies are doing things very differently now with all of the regulations that have been put on them.

I would definitely forward it to the landlord and ask him to take care of those things.

DW said...

I agree ... this sounds odd to me, too. I agree with the other advice ... I'd also say something to the union rep, just to let them know.