Saturday, October 19, 2013

Old faithful broke yesterday

 The rubber belt that drives the machine simply snapped. Darn-I had planned to do some sewing yesterday. Sigh. My former sewing and vacuum shop closed over a year ago, they are becoming more and more scarce. I asked around, no one knew of another. I searched on line, found one in the city north of here, they happen to be on vacation for another week. Since I had to drop DD off at work this morning, I seized the opportunity to pop in next door and ask the ladies in the knitting/quilting shop for some leads-glad that I did, as I discovered that the now on vacation place is a major rip off. Grrr . . BUT, she did refer me to a place in the city South of here. Worth a shop. I also tried on line to find this part, and came across one source for $3.99 plus shipping.  I had to go to the city North of here and was going to be close to Jo-Ann's so I figured that I could try there, as this is a common part after all . .
Yup! as I suspected, these are in their "notions" section. $3.18 with tax out the door, and I quickly replaced the belt myself, saving a service call. I do still need to get my Kenmore Freecycled zigzag serviced as the tension is messed up, I have no idea when it was last serviced so it's a good thing to do. I also found a place in Westchester county, NY that does house calls in Fairfield county-worth looking into.

6 comments:

j said...

I am glad we still have a vacumm/sewing/everything else repair store that has been owned by the same family for 4 generations. They just cleaned and tuned my sewing machine up last year and it was like 22.00 I usually take it in every 4 years.

Marcia in rural WNY said...

My sewing machine shop has closed--it was a family run business and I was quite surprised that when "grandpa" died they did not remain in business. They didn't lack customers! I have a Bernette (a cheaper brand under Bernina) and now the closest shop is a good ride from here. It is a good idea to keep them serviced,however.

I did some laundry for Mom today and found a couple mending jobs are needed. Hope to get to those this evening in case I decide to take the clean clothes back tomorrow. My sisters usually do the wash but one is out of town, so I grabbed what was there. I don't usually visit as frequently as they do. ywardu 11

CTMOM said...

Judy
This is the type of thing my X would have taken care of for me. Glad that it was a quick fix for me. Now to nail down where to go for a reasonable and fair price to look over/tune up my Freecycle machine. . . .

laura sampson said...

just an FYI if you have a smart phone you can dowload the joanns app and reuse the coupons on there as many times as you want until the expire when they get replaced by new coupons

CTMOM said...

Laura
Thanks for the idea, but I only have a "stupid phone" LOL! which means no data charges. I am usually not too far from a computer if I need INternet. Cell phone is for calls/texts only. : )

Nutbird said...

Sterling Vacuum and Sewing Machine Repair on Rte 7 in Norwalk. Near Merrit 7. Ann