Sunday, October 6, 2013

Christmas sewing

 Got a few things off of my Christmas sewing/gift list. First up: a Christmas themed, 100% cotton flannel pillow case. One DS loves red, making this a perfect choice for him. I used a large remnant that I actually purchased YEARS ago at a local town's thrift shop. The edge piece is from different thrift shop, and was actually a brand new, twin flat sheet. I trimmed off the edge, knowing that I had this project in mind. The bottom fabric was somehow lost when I moved, but I am glad that I still had this piece. Now sewn together, this makes a really cute addition to our flannel sheet sets. I like that the edge depicts many of the holiday characters from holiday cartoon programs that will be on before we know it.





 Next: DD's Christmas stocking. For years, I resorted to using holiday decorated, paper tote bags. Last year, I felt that I wanted to start a new tradition of filling actual stockings. As mentioned in a previous post, I knew that I wouldn't be able to sew them in time for Christmas 2012, and my goal was to have them done for 2013. One down, 3 more to go. I plan on doing one a night, if possible this week, to get them completed. I did have some difficulty with this pattern, the first time through, and modified the instructions a bit. After unpicking the first round of sewing all of the outer layers together, I decided to baste the felt batting to the outer pieces, using a 1/4 inch seam. I also used 5/8 seams when sewing the major parts together. I found that the 1/4 inch seam wasn't strong enough, allowing for several "missed areas" that needed resewing. Best to start over, as I was getting frustrated.
This came out really cute, and I ended up using more of the red flannel remnant for the cuff section, some gifted to me pine green gingham for the liner.

No additional expenditure, so I am considering these freebies.

3 comments:

Shara said...

Very cute!

Mary Lou said...

I made my dd's Christmas stocking when she was 10 months old. She is now 28 and still she still uses the same stocking. I love traditions.

The stocking you made looks wonderful.

Precious said...

You are so very talented. I love both the pillowcase and the stocking.