Sunday, October 6, 2013
Next: DD's Christmas stocking. For years, I resorted to using holiday decorated, paper tote bags. Last year, I felt that I wanted to start a new tradition of filling actual stockings. As mentioned in a previous post, I knew that I wouldn't be able to sew them in time for Christmas 2012, and my goal was to have them done for 2013. One down, 3 more to go. I plan on doing one a night, if possible this week, to get them completed. I did have some difficulty with this pattern, the first time through, and modified the instructions a bit. After unpicking the first round of sewing all of the outer layers together, I decided to baste the felt batting to the outer pieces, using a 1/4 inch seam. I also used 5/8 seams when sewing the major parts together. I found that the 1/4 inch seam wasn't strong enough, allowing for several "missed areas" that needed resewing. Best to start over, as I was getting frustrated.
No additional expenditure, so I am considering these freebies.