Sunday, September 15, 2013

Sunday supper: meatloaf

 I did sleep in this morning (6:10-it's all relative!) but I've had a busy day already. Laundry, putting clean dishes away, reprocessing one unsealed jar of home canned tomatoes, and getting a jump on dinner. This week's Sunday supper: an organic beef (marked down)-ground turkey (Aldi's fzn) meatloaf using instant milk, CSA free range organic eggs, home grated Parmesan, Bell's seasoning, home made no salt all purpose seasoning, black pepper, celery, onion, home made bread crumbs. Molded into a glass, loaf baking pan, it's now in the Crock pot, cooking away on low. I also topped it with some ketchup.
My monthly meal plan in operation: the last of the old potatoes, as planned, will be turned into mashed potatoes for tonight. I do need to pick a side vegetable, and make a simple salad out of store bought Romaine, home grown tomatoes, CSA cukes. Choice of home made dressings.




Tonight's meatloaf will also provide sandwich fillings this week, helping me to avoid purchasing cold cuts, what few I do buy. We still have bologna, tuna and PB & J as options, not to mention eggs. I like to start the week knowing that we are prepared, it helps things runs so much more smoothly.

3 comments:

Frugal in Derbyshire said...

Can you clarify "instant milk" and where it fits in your recipe please?
Gill

CTMOM said...

Gill,
In a large bowl, I beat 2 eggs. I then add: bread crumbs, instant (aka powdered milk granuals) and water to equal 1 cup of fluid milk, spices, grated cheese, minced vegetables (onion, celery). I mix this together and let it set up a bit. I then add the ground meat and blend just until incorporated.

HTH!

CTMOM said...

Gill,
In a large bowl, I beat 2 eggs. I then add: bread crumbs, instant (aka powdered milk granuals) and water to equal 1 cup of fluid milk, spices, grated cheese, minced vegetables (onion, celery). I mix this together and let it set up a bit. I then add the ground meat and blend just until incorporated.

HTH!