Saturday, September 14, 2013

Saturday soup

 Saturday soup night. Last minute change in plans, twins ended up staying home this weekend so instead of eating out of the freezer, I decided to make a pot of soup. I grabbed some split peas off the shelf.
 I also took the yogurt container of ham drippings out, knowing that the fat layer would have hardened under refrigeration, preserving the stock below. Using a butter knife, I lifted the fat layer out, washed the underside under hot water to remove any residual stock, then stored it in a separate container for frying. The remaining stock became the base for my soup.


 A thick, gelatinous mass-that is exactly what I was looking for! I added several container's worth of water, and the rinsed split peas, black pepper, salt, a bay leaf and let this simmer several hours before adding the carrots, onion, cubed ham from the freezer.
Here's the finished soup. All 5 of us were in for supper tonight. One serving left for someone's lunch tomorrow.

No comments: